Author Topic: Just wonderin'  (Read 2571 times)

Offline Crogacht

Just wonderin'
« on: May 08, 2014, 08:20:09 pm »
Is there an annual archery/bowyer meet that could be considered representative of the Primitive Archer community?

Or put another way, which annual archery/bowyer event has the most Primitive Archer forum members in attendance?

It seems like if a member of this forum was going to travel from overseas to the USA, they'd ideally want to attend the event with the most PA members at it. It seems like most of the excitement is centred on the Classic, but I really don't want to start any arguments :P

As a foreigner, I'm just quite curious as we don't really have anything like that over here.

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Just wonderin'
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 08:37:28 pm »
Mojam in Marshal MO would meet your criteria.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 08:39:04 pm »
the two I want to go to are Marshall and Twin Oaks, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 09:01:18 pm »
The Tennessee Classic,  Marshall Missouri, and Marshall Michigan are the ones that seem to get the attention.
The Classic is not totally primitive but a huge  draw !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 10:25:15 pm »
I can't believe no one said Moontree there had to be 15 of us there lol ::)
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 10:26:26 pm »
We have OJAM here in Oklahoma but have only met a few members of PA there .
The Classic is talked about more than most , guess because its held when the weather is about right for camping , it can be cold some years at OJAM and and I've heard it can be mighty hot at MOJAM .

OJAM is gearedore towards teaching the skills , not so layed back as some of the others , we have a members only campout to give us a chance to set back and visit and work on our own bows .

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 11:08:07 pm »
I haven't been to all events but I have to agree with Ozzy.....This event is all primitive, no ....FG around.  ;D
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 07:40:35 am »
If you are opposed to any glass bows around I would say Marshell MI. Mojam in MO.  Ojam in OK. or as said Moontree. The Classic has a very big draw from PA and lots of selfbow folks there  75 in the selfbow Challenge and another 80 in the selfbow class,Lot of folks from this forum ,but we do allow Glass longbows and recurves,so if you are opposed to that I would say the others would be a better fit for you. ;) As for me I don't care what you shoot besides wheels and you are welcome at my place. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 07:58:22 am »
I can't believe no one said Moontree there had to be 15 of us there lol ::)
Great event!

Having never been to any of the Marshall shoots or any of the "jams", I would have to vote for the Classic as having the most PA members in attendance.  As mentioned, there were lots of more modern traditional shooters there, but seemed like over half the people were either toting a self bow or a stave.  I think there was over a thousand attendees.  Really wanted to go to Marshall this year, but it didn't work out.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 08:33:49 am »
I would have to agree that Pappy has the biggest welcome sign around , he and Miss Joanie are the best of folks !!
The Jams and the Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous are about passing on skills . Yet Pappy's crew gets it and a whole lot more done in a big way !
Thank you to all that contribute to the Classic !!
Seems like there are at least two trad shoots every weekend in Mi. so we at Marshall have set aside this weekend just for all natural materials ,  just like to have some time set aside for what our hearts desire is , passing on the traditions of Primitive archery
There are countless numbers of events around this country and many different flavors to be tasted !
I hope you find a way to get to one of these events and doubt you will be disappointed by any of them !
Have fun
Guy

Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 08:40:38 am »
Well said Guy,that's what I meant ,just you put in into words better. :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Poggins

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 09:35:40 am »
I know what he is asking but without getting a hold of The folks here on The PA forum and ask them what event they are GOING to attend this year or the next it's going to be a little tricky to figure out what event he wants to go to .
Everyone plans on attending at least one event or two so they usually plan ahead .

So with that said here is what he should ask at least six months to a year ahead of a planned trip :  What traditional event do you plan to go to in 2015 ?

That question would probably get him the answer he is looking for .

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 10:14:58 am »
May also need to know his personal flavor !
No need spending all day telling him how great the Classic is if he wants to see war bows or ELB's although I here tell there was one there this year , but you get the idea!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 12:42:00 pm by Buckeye Guy »
Guy Dasher
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 08:54:30 pm »
I've never been to MOJAM, it's on the to do list, along with trying to get to Rocky's shoot at Elm hall. But, I've been to several of the Tenn. Classic's, and met I don't know how many people from PA's site. That and Pappy and Miss Joannie's hospitality and friendship is the reason I will be going back as long as I can. I shot the whole course for the first time this year, registered self bow, cracked my osage on the first course and finished the second course with my new Bear Kodiak. Just like to shoot, don't care what I use as long as no wheels.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 08:11:07 pm »
Thanks for all the answers.

I think I definitely like making them more than I like shooting them. Although I'm the kind of guy who would come for the bows but stay for the food and beverages  ;)