Author Topic: Colorado this summer?  (Read 1640 times)

Offline Sasquatch

Colorado this summer?
« on: May 12, 2014, 10:05:02 am »
I'm going to south central Colorado for two weeks.  We will be in the San Juan mountains.  My question is.  What would you grab for primitave archery if you we're in the area.  I knapp, build bows, and arrows.  Are there any knappable rocks in the area, good arrow woods, etc.   

blackhawk

Re: Colorado this summer?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:12:56 am »
Juniper n obsidian ;) ...n that's all I'm saying about that :-X  do your research n then start looking..I doubt anyone is gonna share there honey holes with ya here on a open public forum...I'll be there this summer as well back in my ole stomping grounds where I lived for four years..but not in the San Juan's .... I'm sure I'll be coming back with some raw materials ;)

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 10:48:01 am »
Thanks Blackhawk.  I want to make sure everyone knows I'm not looking for honey holes.  But I would like names of species or rock types that are in the area, if anybody knows.    I didn't even know that obsidian could be found in that area.    I just want names of these things so I can start my research.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 11:11:43 am »
When I lived in Glenwood Springs there was some jasper and petrified wood along the River.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 07:32:59 pm »
When I lived in Glenwood Springs there was some jasper and petrified wood along the River.

....aaaand hot springs!!!!!  8) we used to go down to the free ones that bubbled up on the side of the river,n always had to either build up the tubs to get the temps just right pending on the water flow....there's some nice freeby hot springs down in the San Juan's as well if ya got time...I highly recommend it...there's some down on the piedra river(gotta head up the dirt road a ways)..also some up from the west fork trailhead up the trail off of the west side of wolf creek pass....or go pay at the man made ones in pagosa or ouray...but the primitive tubs are the best IMO(clothing optional)  :o  :laugh:

There really isn't much for bow wood honestly...nothing better than what you prob have locally where you live....but juniper is plentiful there in areas and should be easy enough to snag a branch or two.

There's a lithic sources website that shares data on each state and gives ya a rough idea of where it is....don't remember the site or have it bookmarked...but its out there somewhere. And will give ya a close enough location to start hunting.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 07:55:29 pm »
Squatch....there are "species" of rock types???   :o  lol
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 10:32:51 pm »
Chris; The free one in the river, there were two that I new of were behind our apartment above the Springs Liquor store across the street from the big Springs and Putt-Putt golf. And then there was a nice one in South Canyon, one on top of Aspen mountain and the one that Morrison-Knutson covered up on the highway to Redstone and Marble, the mudspring all of the girls used to lay nude covered in mud next to the highway. There truckers kept running off of the road. :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 11:01:08 am »
Yup yup Eddie...the good ole days eh?  :laugh: ..heck I might've even parked next to ya by ur ole apartment without knowing...lol....there still is a freeby right off 133 before redstone(near the west side of mt sopris..fun peak to stand on too BTW) that's accessible after spring runoff    8) ...but glenwoods a bit of a drive from the san jauns depending on where your at in the jauns....heck it can take a long time to just drive around them mountains themselves

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 11:15:25 am »
Blackhawk,  Thanks for all the time that you spend replying to people like me.  I have learned a lot from you over the years.  I really appreciate people like you on this website that give back so much to the art.  Your efforts and sacrificed time are not unnoticed. 

Mullet: Ill be looking for jasper as I cast a fly to some big browns in those small rivers.  Thanks for your response also

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 11:16:18 am »
Hey..I found that lithic sources map/maps of states...I'll pm ya the link ;)