Author Topic: hide glue  (Read 983 times)

Offline andybutrick

hide glue
« on: May 09, 2014, 02:01:19 am »
I am finishing an IPA, 63 inch sinew backed bow, and am now installing antler tips.  The hide glue seems to be of excellent quality from Native Way, I believe is the name of the company, no excuse me, Granny"s Store out of Montana.  Anyway the crystal form.  If done correctly, will the hide glue be the best for installing the tips? I know of the vulnerability to moisture.

Offline wizardgoat

Re: hide glue
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 02:39:07 am »
make sure both surfaces are as perfectly flat as you can make them, and use super glue. they will never come off with super glue

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 04:29:52 am »
You could use hide glue but it's not ideal for this application. Superglues are good but the bond weakens over time with repeated exposure to moisture and make sure you get a good quality one as most don't have a huge amount of active ingredient in them. Go for a medium viscosity.
The real key is perfect mating surfaces.

Offline andybutrick

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 03:26:07 pm »
Thanks for the advice, I have gorilla super glue, I've had good luck with, I've used resin epoxy, but will try super glue. Thanks, I was hoping to use hide glue and keep this bow completely primitive, but the super glue will be much easier and the tension on this bow will be pretty intense, o at least I hope.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 04:04:14 pm »
I use loc-Tite pro 'gel' super glue. Works very good:)
Clatskanie, Oregon