Author Topic: boo back boo belly  (Read 3748 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
boo back boo belly
« on: April 21, 2014, 02:20:41 pm »
thought I'd post another of my recent bows...I have made a few of these over recent years ,they are so light in the hand, only around 15-16oz, theres no shock what so ever and they're a pleasure to shoot......its  mosa bamboo with a maple core and a reverse handle...asian style...
its 58" n-n.     54lbs@27"   the unstrung bow has settled after 1000 shots  with a 4" reflex, but I glued in about 8"
this bow has a 10" stiff handle, making the working limb sections very short, for this length of bow...., Also the belly bamboo is toasted over burning embers.  Its a fairly fast bow, but not as fast as the ipe/boo I posted last week. Hope you all find it interesting
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline bow101

Re: boo back boo belly
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 03:19:15 pm »
Great job, like you said at 54" it would be a toughy for me to tiller without breaking 'er.   :o
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline lukelawrence171

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 03:27:02 pm »
that handle had me very confused , that's a nice little bow though. i am building one that same length now hope it doesn't break ;D

Offline Jjpso

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 08:48:36 pm »
Hello there.
Congratulations, this bow's looking really nice.
I am really tempted to make something similar, but dont know where to start.
Can you please answer some questions?

Can U tell me the thickness of the bamboo back, of the core and of the bamboo belly?
Do you think red or white oak would work as a core? I dont have acess to maple...
Do you think it could work without core, just bamboo back and belly?
Did you tappered the thickness from the end of the fades till the nock? Or is the same thickness all the limb length?
What the width of the fades?
The tillering was just in the belly?
I am sorry for all this questions, hope you can answer...
Best regards,

Joao from Portugal

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 03:43:38 am »
That bow looks like a stonker!
I still haven't got around to playing with bamboo belly and back.... ;)

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 05:39:42 am »
Looks heavy duty serious!
Nice work

Offline mikaluger (Mick Kay)

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 08:49:06 am »
I like that..........alot. :)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 02:58:53 pm »
thanks very much guys,

jipso; the bamboo back and belly are both aprox. 1/8" thick at the apex of the crown and 1 3/8" wide at the fades. The bamboo is left thicker though towards the tips to stiffen them, as the core is thin at this point. (Or the core must thicken out again towards the tips ..)
I dont taper the bamboo only the core, the core is aprox. 3/16" at the fades . The belly must be heat treated for the bow to work well.  Not sure about oak, never tried it? possibly white oak, not red oak....ipe works very well....the core needs to be tuff  to stand up to the bamboo
It really though, depends on the quality and hardness of the bamboo...the bamboo is stronger when the nodes are closer also....boo varies a lot, in Japan they only use old bamboo on the belly that has hardened naturaly , if you can get it?

Dave

I'm happy to share any details.....PM or email me for info,any one whose interested
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 04:37:04 pm »
I find it more than interesting....looks great! Man that full draw pic is just plain cool.

really nice bow! 

-Drew
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 09:53:22 pm »
Very nice bow dragonman, bet its a pleasure to shoot.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Jjpso

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 05:55:59 am »
thanks very much guys,

jipso; the bamboo back and belly are both aprox. 1/8" thick at the apex of the crown and 1 3/8" wide at the fades. The bamboo is left thicker though towards the tips to stiffen them, as the core is thin at this point. (Or the core must thicken out again towards the tips ..)
I dont taper the bamboo only the core, the core is aprox. 3/16" at the fades . The belly must be heat treated for the bow to work well.  Not sure about oak, never tried it? possibly white oak, not red oak....ipe works very well....the core needs to be tuff  to stand up to the bamboo
It really though, depends on the quality and hardness of the bamboo...the bamboo is stronger when the nodes are closer also....boo varies a lot, in Japan they only use old bamboo on the belly that has hardened naturaly , if you can get it?

Dave

I'm happy to share any details.....PM or email me for info,any one whose interested
Thank you very much for your answers dragonman, i will send you some Pm as soon as i get the bamboo.

Best regards

Joao

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 07:47:51 am »
Nice work Dave!! I always love seeing your bows, especially anything bamboo.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 08:13:18 am »
Very nice Dave. 
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com