Author Topic: Black Walnut SelfBow  (Read 1876 times)

Offline OffTiller

Black Walnut SelfBow
« on: May 05, 2014, 02:13:21 pm »
Going to start my first self bow today. I have a 74" BW stave that I split last night. It will probably end up being all sapwood, the heart is small and I don't think I have the skill to work a single growth ring so I am going to debark and use that as the back, which judging from my reading will be a crowned backed (only a 5" diameter tree). Any advise on how to lay out the bow, it's kinda snakey but not to crazy, I won't be able to start for a few days until I get a draw knife from amazon - any advise on the size to get for a draw knife? I will post a few pics once it stops raining today. Thanks to all.
"I seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old, I seek the things they sought."

Offline Crogacht

Re: Black Walnut SelfBow
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 04:53:15 pm »
Not sure on the BW, I have some English Walnut, but it's still drying.

As for the drawknife, get a BIG ONE. Mine is about a 10 or 12 inch, and I never wish I had a smaller one. I wouldn't go less than 8, personally. Other than that, make sure the handles are good, or make sure you can fix them yourself... and get an old one that has decent steel, but try to avoid a blade with too much pitting on the surface.

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 07:16:57 pm »
I get most of my drawknives from antique stores and estate sales. The old ones have good steel. They are about 8 to 12 inches. I bought a small (4") one new, it's real handy for delicate work.
I'd go wide at the flares-2" anyway for most of the limb before bringing it down to a 3/8" tip. I like heavy bows so I've had to back BW with sinew to keep it together and keep the poundage up. It's a light wood and can make a decent bow, but I wouldn't consider it for a first bow. It will take good tillering skills to make it last. Good luck with your build.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 07:35:18 pm »
check out gundoc's post's, josh has made several bl walnut bows
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 10:52:26 pm »
I primarily use 8" draw knives with curved blades and I only buy the old timey ones.  As far as the lay out goes, a little more info would be helpful.  Such as style of bow, draw length, intended draw weight and some good pics from both ends, side profile and any character bits like knots and stuff.  The more we know about your goal, the easier it will be to help you get there.  Also, is this stave dry, green or somewhere in between.  If you just split it, I'm guessing it's still green.  If that be the case, you can rough it out but not tiller it.  Walnut is slow drying stuff and if you try to tiller it to early it will chrysal horribly.   Every bit of info helps us help you.   Josh

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 10:57:28 pm »
Yep ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...