Author Topic: Need help with cane  (Read 2335 times)

Offline woodswalker

Need help with cane
« on: May 10, 2014, 05:19:31 pm »
I now have me a supply of Tonkin cane and I was hoping that someone might have a link to something showing the process of straightening. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Need help with cane
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 08:30:28 pm »
Have you checked the "How To" section?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline woodswalker

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 08:44:51 pm »
Honestly I had never scrolled down that far to see in in the sections. Thanks for that Pat. Oh while I'm here do you have to sand or grind the nodes down or can you just sand them smooth?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 11:02:00 pm »
Tenbrook did a great how to.  It is on the top of the arrow page.  Here is the link

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28697.0.html
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 11:05:51 pm »
I don't sand the nodes but some do. If you plan to sand the nodes do it after you've straightened or the cane is lible to break at the node.  I prefer to compress the nodes instead. I heat the node, lay it on a hard smooth surface and roll it under a block of wood with a little pressure.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 05:30:35 pm »
I've made a tutorial a few years ago about making bamboo arrows: http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/23526/Bamboo-arrow-tutorial
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 11:47:53 pm »
I just wait til they're dry then use a candle to heat them and straighten them.  Just mess with it a little and you'll get the hang of it.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Don Case

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 12:37:43 pm »
Doesn't the candle leave soot all over it? Not that I'm afraid to get my hands dirty ;) maybe an alcohol lamp?

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 12:54:04 pm »
Doesn't the candle leave soot all over it? Not that I'm afraid to get my hands dirty ;) maybe an alcohol lamp?

I watched Clint straighten a bunch using a can of sterno once. I use the gas range. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 03:38:59 pm »
Yes, but it's easily wiped off.  Pretty is the last thing I'm concerned about when making arrrows. 
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!