Author Topic: Bowstring Serving  (Read 5720 times)

Offline Crogacht

Bowstring Serving
« on: May 05, 2014, 05:40:31 am »
Could anyone tell me what serving I should be using for Dacron B50.

Seems like there is one kind of B50, but about a dozen kinds of serving, and I have no idea which I need.

Do I get .018? ie. the same size as the B50

Thanks, Ben

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Bowstring Serving
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 08:16:52 am »
You can use anything you want.  I prefer natural fiber myself and vary the diameter of the serving according to the number of strands I am making the string and the nock size of the arrows so that I get a good fit.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 09:53:30 am »
I use the zebra looking fast flight serving material on all my strings, B-50 and DF-97. The reason I use this material is it is absolutely bullet proof, you can't wear it out and it will never come unraveled at the ends like braded nylon serving.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 10:39:24 am »
While we are on the subject, can someone suggest a good serving jig? I got a cheap plastic one from bohning or something, some crap made in china, and it is horrible, and I have another one I made from a metal thing from home depot. It kinda sucks too. Also, I buy brownell nylon #4, but it aggravates me how they put that plastic on the end. Because it effects the turning in the jig. I once bought some serving off of ebay, which was advertized as nylon #4, but it didn't have the paper, it has nothing but little bumps on each end of the spool, which worked great!. But I don't remember what seller it was, and I don't know what serving it actually was. Or if I just bought something I thought was nylon #4 on accident. But it worked great, I wish I knew what serving it was...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 11:04:21 am »
I've always used the cheap nylon stuff and never had a problem.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 11:53:14 am »
I use a regular nylon serving and a "little spinner" serving tool.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Don Case

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 12:34:09 pm »
While we are on the subject, can someone suggest a good serving jig? I got a cheap plastic one from bohning or something, some crap made in china, and it is horrible, and I have another one I made from a metal thing from home depot. It kinda sucks too. Also, I buy brownell nylon #4, but it aggravates me how they put that plastic on the end. Because it effects the turning in the jig. I once bought some serving off of ebay, which was advertized as nylon #4, but it didn't have the paper, it has nothing but little bumps on each end of the spool, which worked great!. But I don't remember what seller it was, and I don't know what serving it actually was. Or if I just bought something I thought was nylon #4 on accident. But it worked great, I wish I knew what serving it was...

I made this one. It only took a few minutes and seems to work great.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 12:36:10 pm »
I have tried several including the Bohning and I find the Cajun archery serving jig works best for me.  Easy to fine tune the tension and unlike some of the other models, it stays were you adjust it to. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 10:22:00 pm »
Awesome, thanks everyone. I was looking at a serving jig too, so good to know all around :)

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 10:56:19 pm »
Don C, you need to paten that thing and sell them. Looks like it ought to work good.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 11:40:24 pm »
I have the red plastic serving jig.  I think it might be bohning.  I swapped the wing nut out for a lock nut and that made a big improvement.  I can take a wrench and fine tune it and it stays in place.  I use all kinds of different serving.  I just loaded up on a bunch of Halo serving at the Classic for $1-$2 a spool.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bow101

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 12:12:49 am »
Nice little rig you made there Don.   8)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 01:26:07 am »
there is a 3riversvideo on the serving jig i use. and it takes less than a minute to serve the string.

is it alright if i post a link for the youtube video?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Don Case

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 01:30:58 am »
Don C, you need to paten that thing and sell them. Looks like it ought to work good.

Not my idea, I found it on the net somewhere. Just did a Google search for "serving bowstrings"

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 09:52:01 am »
Nice, Don.
Ben, diameter of serving is only an issue for plastic nocks, as you probably know.
My self nocks get fitted specially to the string and serving so a light tap will remove them.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!