Author Topic: Boiling the hickory recurve  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Academonicon

Boiling the hickory recurve
« on: June 29, 2014, 02:07:24 pm »
Really excited to say, I've finally gotten around to doing a boiled recurve!  I'm still a little nervous about the width of the hickory board I'm working with (1.5"), but I'm looking forward to continuing through this project.  I've never used hickory, I've never made a bow of these dimensions before, I've never done a boiled recurve (or any kind of recurve successfully, though I did fail at dry heat a couple times), and I've never done a working handle before,* so this is a very experimental project, and I'm already having a bunch of fun with it!

If all goes well, this is going to be the first half of a matched Christmas gift set for my sister and her ladyfriend - an absurdly great couple who will be yet more badass if they can go shooting together.

*I've got a cool idea for the working handle that I'm pretty excited about, but I'll post about that again when I get there.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Boiling the hickory recurve
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 03:05:00 pm »
Did you marinade before boiling?  Or did you season the stock instead?  Did it become tender?  I bet it's even better as left-overs...the best soups always are.    ::)

That is a seriously professional looking bending caul, looks also like you used a metal backing strip for the bend.  You've done this before, c'mon, 'fess up!  The recipients are blessed to have you as a brother.  Good on you!  Post pics as you go and make sure to show them with their bows...double full draw pic would be perfect!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 03:14:54 pm »
Boiling or steaming is always best for  hickory. Looks like you've got a handle on the process now.
 Speaking of handles  ::) ...with a working handle bow I like to save the handle area for last. Get the rest of the limbs bending well then bring the bend back into the handle. I like to feel the handle give a little when I hit full draw or the last inch or so.
 Are building two bows, one for your sister and one for her lady friend?  Good for you!!!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 05:18:04 pm »
This is going yo be fun !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Academonicon

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 05:20:45 pm »
Thanks, folks!  And this is really my first recurve, I swear!  I've just done an embarrassing amount of research beforehand.  Already looking forward to the next steps.  I'll keep posting as I go along.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 05:53:12 pm »
There is the one percent that learns from what they are told, the two percent that learn from what they read....and the 97% that just gotta pee on the electric fence for themselves.

You are a 2 percenter!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 06:15:16 pm »
If you cut yourself a wedge you can put it between the form and the tip of the bow. That way your tip will wrap all the way around. Basically its a spacer to fill in the depth of the tip.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Academonicon

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 07:34:05 pm »
Thanks for the tip, Pearl Drums!  I was thinking about doing something like that next time.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 07:37:08 pm »
You'll be surprised how much hook you gain. That last inch of limb gains you 10-15 degrees in bend, at least. That's the point where the string ties it all together. Not saying your current bend isn't fine. Just letting you know how to sharpen it up if you want to.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Academonicon

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 12:20:14 am »
I appreciate it!