Author Topic: The Men Behind The Bow  (Read 8184 times)

Offline arachnid

Re: The Men Behind The Bow
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2014, 05:56:00 am »

I may be one of the only people making primitive bows here, and I hope
      to some day get more locals interested in bookmaking. I also want to improve my
      skills and master as many different bow woods as I can.

Japbow.

I hear you Brian. Here in Israel, archery is  not a common sport, hunting is forbidden and bow building....... there is only a handful of people.
There is one guy I know and talk with, some other guy that contacted me through my youtube videos and started building bows, and maybe a few other I don`t know.
I kind of a dream of mine to see bow building spread here in Israel....

Dor
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:10:03 am by arachnid »

Offline dwardo

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2014, 12:49:06 pm »
Leon from Cheshire in England UK.
Married with a little lad of three. Worked in IT for most of my working life but always done crafty things to keep me sane. Computers are completely soulless and temporary.
Love the outdoors and always whittling something or making leather goods. Have been making bows for about 7 years now and still enjoy it as much as when I started. Well I say "enjoy" it but its more a roller-coaster of frustration, despair and joy.

I still think its amazing how far a piece of wood can bend and not break, and still keep up with modern materials.

The other thing that amazes me is how we all seem to be able to spend hours upon hours working a bit of wood only to have it break, yet we still carry on  ???

JacksonCash

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2014, 01:43:30 pm »
Name is Jason
Originally from Michigan's upper peninsula, currently in central New York
I'm a controls engineer for a packaging equpiment manufacturer, but hopefully for not much longer
Married, no kids yet.
I've done two bows in two years, which is absolutely glacial compared to some of the guys here. I really, really enjoy making them though. In addition to that, I am currently working with my wife on learning to make absolutely everything that we can.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2014, 02:25:35 pm »
Names Connor, built my first bow when I was 7 out of a dead elm branch, baler twine and duct tape, it only lasted one shot but I've been hooked ever since, right now I live about 20 miles out of ekalaka montana and make knives and ride horses for a living.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Deo

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2014, 07:06:40 pm »
Hi Dor, It is really cool to know that the bowyer virus is affecting people around the world, My name is Deodato(Deo) Frutuoso I am 31 and from Santa Cruz county California, I have a 6 year old daughter and I am a recent graduate of Humboldt State University with a degree in wildlife Managment and Conservation. Trying to find work in my field. I have had a bow in my hand since I was nine (it was a sinwed back bow about 48 inches long). I started making bows since 2000 but it has been a slow process between work, school and being a father I have only made under ten bows so far. I am a much better arrow maker though. Good luck to you and may your arrows fly straight.