Author Topic: Your Proudest Achievement As A Bowyer?  (Read 12580 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Re: Your Proudest Achievement As A Bowyer?
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2014, 08:16:21 pm »
Mine would be today, I sinew backed my juniper bow. Never have worked sinew. Never wanna have to again  ;D lol

This is the most work I've had to put into a bow yet. I'm just proud of myself for not losing my patients. Boy I was close. This bow is what I've dreamt of building since I started. And bow it's coming to life. Hopefully it stays alive  :-\
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2014, 01:57:22 pm »
Sled Huskin - I like your style  8)

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2014, 10:06:19 pm »
As I'm only partway through my first bow, I don't have much to draw on here ;D... and I certainly do not and will not for a very long time consider myself a bowyer of any sort, but I did experience something that might be described as a kind of proud.

I have the garage set up pretty well to make bows now. There is some space used for storage, but mostly tools and bows; I leave the car outside. So there is a workbench, tools everywhere, wood shavings and sawdust, various kinds of wood in varying stages of drying under the bench, on the floor, in the rafters etc :D

Sometimes people come to the house, family and friends etc and catch me out there messing about, so they come in and see what's going on. These are usually people who have absolutely no experience with bows or archery or any kind, and in many cases woodwork in general.

They don't seem overly interested at first... there's nothing in there they have any connection to whatsoever, until they pick up my half finished elm bow. It's at the point where it's just starting to bend, but needs a little more before the long string, so it definitely looks and feels like a bow.

I'm not sure if you've ever witnessed this yourselves, but they get this smile and look of wonder on their face as they examine this thing. It's hard to explain, but these are people who have no experience or connection with bows, and something seems to be going on when they come into contact with my almost-bow.

I dunno if they're amazed at the transformation that's taken place from the twisted old elm stave to what they have in their hands, but it definitely evokes a kind of proud feeling to know that you can cause that reaction with something you made with your own hands... even if it is crude and destined to explode on the tiller tree, but they don't know that!!!  >:D

« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:26:00 am by Crogacht »

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2014, 10:32:35 pm »
Thanks, Cam.  Don't get me wrong. When I make a bow, I'm usually like, "That's pretty bada$$." I may be proud once I make a snaky self bow. We'll see. lol

Offline 4dog

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2014, 10:51:06 pm »
honestly...i just drove 30+ hrs for my moment..or moments...guys yall dont even know how honored and priveledged i was to make the drive (and ride) to the classic...did i build a bow there....nope my VM didnt make it (sorry bryce we tried!!)  but ya know,i dont really care...i enjoyed meeting everyone that i did (cept jdub....lol just kidding of course) ..when yall see me tell some newbie here,"welcome ! ya wont meet a nicer bunch of guys on any forum"...now i have memories of faces to go with names ,,and TRUELY mean every word...thanks to pappy and the crew of the tennessee classic for giving me my best and brightests in archery...oh yeah and to everyone i met there...your all class acts!!!  and thats alot coming from some "interesting lookin" Texas boy ...hope to see yall again next year!! ..(cept jdub....lol) be safe yall!!!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2014, 11:32:03 pm »
Meeting whor....I mean 4dog at the Classic.  >:D Have a gnomer 4oredog, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2014, 11:34:04 pm »
A couple things stand out for me as my proudest moments.  Tackling the monster osage tree and killing my first deer with a bow and arrow that I made. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline 4dog

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2014, 11:39:06 pm »
lmao...that was too funny!!!!  even for a gnome!!! way too cool meeting ya brother!!!  oh yeah ...you shootin that bow yet!!!??
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2014, 12:15:03 am »
Nope, I ain;t even took a shower yet.  :o
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)