Author Topic: Your Proudest Achievement As A Bowyer?  (Read 12579 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Your Proudest Achievement As A Bowyer?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 10:39:00 pm »
The moment that comes to mind is the time at a mountain man rendezvous in Nebraska I traded a kid a cheap Chinese magnifying glass without a handle for one of my handmade bows.  He'd tried every trick in the book to get me to just give it to him, to no avail.  Finally he resorted to bringing over a blanket and his pile of trade goods.  He threw down the blanket and laid out a few items and looked up at me. 

The tradition is that no words are exchanged over a trade blanket.  Gestures only.  I sat down across from him and laid the bow in the middle.  The bargaining went hot and furious before he finally brought out the "burning glass" and lit a small pinch of tinder on fire to demonstrate it's value.  When I picked up his offer and walked away silently from the trade blanket he did a great job of holding his cool.  He picked up his new bow and arrows, rolled up his blanket around his other trade goods, and walked away.  It wasn't half a minute later from across the camp I heard his whooping and hollering!

Still got that burning lens.  Been known to start my pipe or a campfire with it just for the sheer fun of it.  I guess it was no achievement for me, just the pleasure of allowing a kid to get the best of me in a trade blanket exchange.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 10:50:01 pm »
  Great story JW.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 12:03:33 am »
I'd have to say my proudest moment repeats itself every year when I go to OJAM , I get to pass on the knowledge that I have learned and every year I give some young kid an osage stave and help them make a bow .
And there was the Kentucky Coffee tree bow that I backed with spoonbill skins and copperhead skins .

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 10:15:02 am »
JW, you da MAN!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 10:21:38 am »
Have you guys noticed that when you make a special bow, for a good cause, there are none of the hick-ups or problems to solve that usually accompany bow making? I have made a bunch for charity auctions, asked for a little divine guide guidance when I start working and the bows seem to almost make themselves. Probably my imagination but it goes the same way every time.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 01:01:05 pm »
This is a picture of a young man(far right) that's been in my life for many years. He was the first to receive his Gold medal of achievement in our Royal Ranger Out-post. Now in his second year of college enlisting into Army Reserves officer program. Made the bow he is holding as a graduation present. Hickory backed hickory. 45#@26".
More proud of the young man than the bow !
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Traxx

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 01:09:12 pm »
Back in the late 70's a guy who was the curator at the Indian museum,in Sacramento,let me handle Ishis bow and other archery tackle.This was a great honor and i made him a Maidu bow replica from 1 i saw in the museum in Quincy.This guy was the Bear,at the annual Maidu Bear dance.I gave him the bow at Bear Dance.You should have seen the reaction from some of the real old timers there.I was flooded with stories and historical lessons for 3 days.It was amazing and the best Bear dance i ever attended.I think it gave those elders hope and joy,that some young guy,had an interest in the old ways.

JacksonCash

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2014, 01:38:29 pm »
No pics at the moment, since I'm at work, but so far it has been bringing my wife's bow into work and having people ooh and aah over it.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2014, 11:21:31 pm »
Proudest moment? ... hmmm  discovering the magic of making bows and getting my bros AND Dad back into archery...  guess those aren't really moments but more of a process....not sure how else to describe it.   I guess my proudest "moment" was recently handing a bow to an Eagle Scout and seeing the look in his eyes and the appreciation of his parents.  very cool.   

Proudest Achievement?  .... The Next One.  .........hopefully.  :laugh:
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2014, 09:58:39 am »
My proudest moments are when I am watching my daughter shoot a bow I made for her. Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2014, 02:08:12 pm »
I'm proudest of the guys I've helped get started. It's rewarding too when they show others and on down the line. Feels good to know the craft will be alive and well when we're gone.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2014, 03:18:46 pm »
Winning BOY last year was very rewarding for me, and quite flattering to be honest. It wasn't a goal, or even a thought. But quickly became real.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2014, 03:20:19 pm »
Receiving votes for Bow of the Month (not as good as winning I'm sure).
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2014, 06:46:16 pm »
My proudest moments are when people ask me where I get my bows and I get to tell them that I didn't buy it I made it I love doing that
I like osage

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2014, 06:51:47 pm »
I'll let you know when it happens. lol