Author Topic: First sinew job, on first bow, Osage Updated tip reshaped?  (Read 9659 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: First sinew job, on first bow, Osage
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 11:09:40 pm »
PEARL DRUMS, thank you for your reply, and you are right about the experience and learning something. Your right for sure about the hide glue and sinew, that was some of the deciding factor for using tightbond. I would be like me to leave my bow in the truck all day in the summer, only to come back to it and see the hide glue dripping off of it. Your right about the glue being a little harder to work with. Thanks.

Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PatM

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 11:19:46 pm »
Jim Hamm left a sinewed bow in a truck in Texas and it performed better than ever. Hide glue and sinew can cope with moisture, heat and humidity rather well if you really go the extra mile to seal them up.
 You really have to take extra steps though. I think it's worth it myself.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 11:24:06 pm »
Just the length of the bow would prevent the sinew from working to it full potential. Sinew/titebond makes a good bow backing I guess but if I'm going to the trouble to make a sinew backed bow I want to get all the goodie out of the sinew and the bow. I have used a thin layer of TBIII to seal a sinew backed bow so when I added snake skins the sinew wouldn't absorb moisture from the glue; both TBIII and hide glue. 
 Remember, Tite Bond carpenters glues will release at 150deg(F) so don't leave it in a hot car either.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 11:53:15 pm »
Thanks Patm and Pat B, I have learned a lot from this thread so far about glue and static tips and more. I knew that making this post that I would have several people with a world of experience give me their knowledge.  I know that I will be working on the weight of the tips and and that my next sinew job will definitely be with hide glue.

So other than those few things what do you all think about how it looks so far? I feel like I have done a major transformation from what I started with. A twisted, checked end, propeller stick of wood  to what it is now. Like I said it's my first bow that I have made. Muses than some PVC with A string tied on it when I was a kid.

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline rps3

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2014, 12:24:28 am »
I just got done shooting my 54" sinewed bow that pulls in the 50's at 28" and still holds an inch of reflex. I used tb3. The bow flat out zings an arrow too. I keep telling myself the next sinew bow will be with hide glue, but for 4 bows tb3 has been good to me so far. Maybe I don't know what I am missing.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 12:45:29 am »
rps3, that's cool! I think I need to try and make a short bow with sinew on it and see the deference myself. With hide glue, that is.

Offline lebhuntfish

Re: First sinew job, on first bow, Osage updated tip pictures
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2014, 11:44:34 pm »
Well it's been a couple of months now and I decided to pull this thing out and work on the tips some. I have built a few other bows and even one that I haven't posted on here yet. I have learned a lot since I sinewed this bow.  Here is a couple pics of the tips. One for comparison and one that I have worked down some. I can't see any flex in the tip yet, at least in floor tiller. The first one is the original size of the tip and the second one is after I worked them down some.  What do you think?