Author Topic: The Showdown  (Read 112678 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: The Showdown
« Reply #255 on: May 12, 2014, 04:19:27 pm »
Geeeez...

Drop out for a month or so to move...
Come back to the Beat of War Drums...    8)

I'll be watching from here on out...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline PatM

« Reply #256 on: May 12, 2014, 04:35:51 pm »
Just wondering, is anybody taking this challenge up?
Of course.  In my own sweet time. I only have billets suitable for the task and some longer green staves that I am not quite wiling to steer down another path that wasn't planned for them.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #257 on: May 13, 2014, 10:19:51 pm »
Just wondering, is anybody taking this challenge up?
Of course.  In my own sweet time. I only have billets suitable for the task and some longer green staves that I am not quite wiling to steer down another path that wasn't planned for them.

Cool. I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with.

Thought about trying it myself, but when I got looking through my stash of dried wood I found that I'm left with mostly B-grade wood, or highly crowned staves. I'm not sure if my skills would be up to the task anyway, but maybe I'll give it a go with some HHB that should be good and dry by the new year.

Offline PatM

« Reply #258 on: May 13, 2014, 10:32:50 pm »
The specs listed will surely make any attempts very similar.

Offline adb

« Reply #259 on: May 28, 2014, 11:27:44 am »
Well, time's up. It's been a month today and nobody has made this bow. All bets are also off. I'm not surprised.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #260 on: May 28, 2014, 11:36:45 am »
Welcome back Adam.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #261 on: May 28, 2014, 11:54:21 am »
Well, time's up. It's been a month today and nobody has made this bow. All bets are also off. I'm not surprised.

So, ...does that mean it's actually not possible then?  Just trying to keep score here.

OneBow

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #262 on: May 28, 2014, 11:58:54 am »
There were a few people who had expressed interest. But noone seemed interested in hitting the deadline. I'd be surprised if we don't see something rise to the challenge sometime this summer.

Offline PatM

« Reply #263 on: May 28, 2014, 12:07:27 pm »
Nobody was interested in the deadline. I certainly wasn't when Adam reneged on his original bet (with me) and then ran away.

Offline Badger

« Reply #264 on: May 28, 2014, 12:15:44 pm »
  Just for reference the bow that currently holds the world unlimited self bow flight record in the broadhead class was a hickory bow that measured 100#@28" and was 68" long. The bow was built by Jerimia Rutherford and didn't appear to be extrordinary in any ways. I would have guessed the bow by looking at it to be about 70#. Jerimia was from a very dry climate in New Mexico which was very well suited for hickory bows. It was a very typical stiff handled American longbow.

Offline zenart

« Reply #265 on: May 28, 2014, 04:33:04 pm »
Good to see you back Adam. I hope you resume sharing in the other posts. For me, your spirited attitude and passion for bow building is a positive for the forum.  Ron
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #266 on: May 28, 2014, 08:46:37 pm »
Yes, I enjoy your bows and input as well. I understand boys will be boys. But bygones will be bygones :laugh:
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #267 on: May 28, 2014, 08:47:43 pm »
I wasn't even interested in the showdown, even though it's has my name on it, it was PatM that started the thread.  Any good bowyer with a broad knowledge base knows it's not even a challenge.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #268 on: May 28, 2014, 08:59:34 pm »
  Hey Mark, don't feel bad, Doc Holiday and Wyatt Earp had the same problem.

Offline adb

« Reply #269 on: May 28, 2014, 09:48:16 pm »
I wasn't even interested in the showdown, even though it's has my name on it, it was PatM that started the thread.  Any good bowyer with a broad knowledge base knows it's not even a challenge.

Like I've said throughout this entire thread Marc, if it's so easy, then show us the way.