Author Topic: The Showdown  (Read 112585 times)

Offline half eye

Re: Re: Tri-Lam Bow. Why?
« Reply #225 on: April 30, 2014, 10:58:00 am »
Yes, with the type of glue I'm using, it occurs at the molecular level. Do your research... I did.

You didn't answer the question about hysteresis.

If I'm making a bow that will be higher draw weight and/or longer draw length, I'll make it longer and/or wider.

I want to see you make a 100# 60" flatbow please. And not one that draws 2". It would have to be of some meaningful use, with a draw length of at least 24"-26". A 60" bow of 50# can easily be pulled to 28".

You threw it out there. Let's see it. I'm challenging you to put your money where your mouth is. And we're talking a flatbow here, not a composite horsebow, static recurve, etc. Backed or unbacked... up to you.

How did you all get to 130# static recurves from the original challenge of a 100# 60" flat bow drawing 24-26 inches?  Also why is this topic not in the war bow section?
rich

Offline PatM

Re: The Showdown
« Reply #226 on: April 30, 2014, 10:59:38 am »
Be nice to know the actual distances. Over 300 yards and close to 300 yards are a bit vague. Seems like the lighter weight recurve still shot farther, as might be expected.  >:D
  I'd like to know more about the unstrung profile and mechanics of the recurve. Hard to tell from a snapshot of partial draw exactly how it is working.
 I am however more interested in a straight up comparison of two self wood bows, recurve versus longbow. Profile versus profile rather than a material comparison as well.
 Both from the same tree would be even better.

Offline PatM

Re: Re: Tri-Lam Bow. Why?
« Reply #227 on: April 30, 2014, 11:04:40 am »
Yes, with the type of glue I'm using, it occurs at the molecular level. Do your research... I did.

You didn't answer the question about hysteresis.

If I'm making a bow that will be higher draw weight and/or longer draw length, I'll make it longer and/or wider.

I want to see you make a 100# 60" flatbow please. And not one that draws 2". It would have to be of some meaningful use, with a draw length of at least 24"-26". A 60" bow of 50# can easily be pulled to 28".

You threw it out there. Let's see it. I'm challenging you to put your money where your mouth is. And we're talking a flatbow here, not a composite horsebow, static recurve, etc. Backed or unbacked... up to you.

How did you all get to 130# static recurves from the original challenge of a 100# 60" flat bow drawing 24-26 inches?  Also why is this topic not in the war bow section?
rich
Marc mentioned a guy wanting a heavy weight recurve in the original discussion, which generates this. It  likely is an actual challenge, the original not so much.
 It probably should be in the warbow section but a heavy weight wooden static  is not commonly thought of as a warbow, hence the crossover.

mikekeswick

« Reply #228 on: April 30, 2014, 02:48:45 pm »
I'd like to see that hornbow he is shooting.
However it's nothing like a Turkish bow  >:D I am currently making a set of three new Turkish bows, two of these are going to be Turkish flight bows, one of them is going to be a heavyweight....IF it stays  together I may have to look this chap up to shoot it!

Offline WillS

« Reply #229 on: April 30, 2014, 05:03:12 pm »
Shows what I know about Turkish bows!! Apparently it's called a Kurgan?  No idea.

Joe is shooting 190# plus currently, so I would imagine he'd do justice to whatever you come up with!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #230 on: April 30, 2014, 10:10:30 pm »
  I would not attempt a 130# static. I imagine it could be done but I wouldn't want any part of it. I have made plenty of 100# flatbows when playing around with boards, most of them closer to 6 ft. I might have a use for 100# static as someone could shoot it at the flights, 130# I don't know anyone attending that can draw that much.

Actually the more I think of it the more it sounds like an interesting build.  I might just make one once I get more time.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #231 on: May 01, 2014, 02:29:40 am »
Why have I not seen any 100# 60" bows yet? I agree this would not be hard. I have never made such a bow, but here is a 42" near replica Lakota white ash bow. It has a draw of 90# at 20". The person in the full draw pic is the new owner that wanted a short bow replica with a 80+ pound draw.

Marc, in the time it has taken you to respond to this post you could have made 2  100# 60" bows.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #232 on: May 01, 2014, 02:32:47 am »
Oops. Posted 2 of the same pics. Ment to post the unstrung profile with some string follow

mikekeswick

« Reply #233 on: May 01, 2014, 02:56:34 am »
Wasn't the kurgen out of the highlander films....one of the immortals....'there can be only one!'

mikekeswick

« Reply #234 on: May 01, 2014, 03:01:06 am »
The Kurgen

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #235 on: May 01, 2014, 04:40:18 am »
Atta Boy Chuck.  Design is the issue I think....not... >:D  j/p this thing is funny.  Just keeps going, got alligator blood in it

Offline Badger

« Reply #236 on: May 01, 2014, 10:46:11 am »
  I would not attempt a 130# static. I imagine it could be done but I wouldn't want any part of it. I have made plenty of 100# flatbows when playing around with boards, most of them closer to 6 ft. I might have a use for 100# static as someone could shoot it at the flights, 130# I don't know anyone attending that can draw that much.

Actually the more I think of it the more it sounds like an interesting build.  I might just make one once I get more time.

If you decide to build it James would be more than happy to shoot it I bet. It would give your bow a good shot at records in both broadhead and regular flight. Are you thinking self or backed?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #237 on: May 01, 2014, 10:49:53 am »
I was thinking backed.  Self would be tough and I would probably have to make it a bit longer.  I thought Marlon was the heavy bow guy
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #238 on: May 01, 2014, 11:27:04 am »
  Marlon has not been showing up, he was drawing over 150#. James has been workjing out and can draw 100# now.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #239 on: May 01, 2014, 01:09:39 pm »
simmer down fellas ;D :laugh:
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"