Author Topic: clay pipe bowls  (Read 1971 times)

Offline JEB

clay pipe bowls
« on: January 14, 2014, 10:21:05 am »
Anyone have any clay pipe bowls or know where I can find some. I would like to use turkey wing bones for the stems but need to find the bowls.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

Re: clay pipe bowls
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 12:47:07 pm »
If no one here has any to trade I would google the pipe shoppe.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 02:32:51 pm »
I don't have any left right now, but I used to make em. There pretty fun and super easy to make, but they break easy. I used clay right out the earth, near where ever there is a stream of water running down a hill side usually. What you do is take some clay and a guitar string, one of the big base strings on a larger gauge, and roll a cone shaped piece of clay around the string, to where the string is in the middle, shape the pipe however you want it into whatever shape you would like, and then pull the string out. I will shape the bowl a bit before removing the string usually, I use another rounded piece of clay to do that, but you could do it with your finger if you want probably. Than you let it dry out real good, and fire it in a fire pit, dug a couple feet deep at the least to make a sort of oven. If you don't let it dry out good before you fire it, it will crack or maybe explode. And you can't do it in a normal camp fire, it needs to get really really hot so you need to make an oven of sorts. I always made cool little hobbit like pipes, pretty fun.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline RedBear1313

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 11:42:35 am »
I have some catlinite and steatite chunks and blanks.   (Minnesota pipestone).

Hold on to what you can't remember, make sense of what you can't decipher.