Author Topic: Questions about dry-heat  (Read 2856 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Questions about dry-heat
« on: December 30, 2007, 03:55:19 pm »
Guys, when using dry heat(gun) to straighten a bend in a limb, do you heat on the side toward the desired position or from the opposite side?

I'm about to step out and split my HHB log that was given as a gift this fall and there is a slight whoop near the but end. I'm new to self-bows and am told that I can use the sapwood under the bark as my crowned back.  If I split it right, I may get 3 staves out of it (I hope).

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Questions about dry-heat
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 04:07:49 pm »
Ea, I try to heat all the way through the wood so there in very little resistance when bending. Sometimes there are situations where you don't want to heat the back or belly but you do want the heat to penetrate well.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 04:09:05 pm »
You can use the sapwood for the back. It's a good idea to reduce the stave to near bow dimensions before heating. I'm not sure a couple months of drying is enough. Make sure the wood is dry before using a heat gun. Once you split the log it may not appear as much of a whoppy do. You may want to split it and then post some pics. You Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 05:15:19 pm »
You can use the sapwood for the back. It's a good idea to reduce the stave to near bow dimensions before heating. I'm not sure a couple months of drying is enough. Make sure the wood is dry before using a heat gun. Once you split the log it may not appear as much of a whoppy do. You may want to split it and then post some pics. You Jawge

Thanks PAt and George!
George, this log has actually been drying for the last 2-3 years in a barn, so is plenty seasoned! I just came in from de-barking it as I wanted to see for sure what I had to work with...will post in a bit, but I don't have time to split it right now(getting dark)...Tomorrow for sure.