Author Topic: Aloha from Hawaii  (Read 3018 times)

Offline bordious

Aloha from Hawaii
« on: April 22, 2014, 04:37:42 pm »
Hello all, my name is Clint from Oahu.  I have been looking around the forums here for the last week or so, and decided to become a member.  I am currently in the process of shaping my first bow, a longbow out of strawberry guava.  I am very fortunate to have the help of my coworker, Manny, who seems to be pretty popular around these forums.  I've been curing my blank for the last 8 months, and Manny helped me with the rough outline which I just finished.  I'm about to go to his house to have him help me with the next step.  Thanks for having me, I look forward to everyones' input, help, and advice.

Offline Gsulfridge

Re: Aloha from Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 04:38:47 pm »
Welcome aboard!!  I must warn you, it is very addicting.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline bordious

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 04:45:00 pm »
I am actually going to go into the woods today to see if I can't find another good tree to fell, I just hate waiting for the drying process.  If I knew it was going to be so addicting, I would've cut a new one every 2 months or so.

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 04:48:37 pm »
Welcome to the party man!  Can't wait to see how it turns out!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 04:58:58 pm »
Welcome, I'm just starting out too... but my elm sounds boring compared to strawberry guava, wow :D

Offline Lemos

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 05:52:45 pm »
Welcome. You'll find many helpful folks here with lots I knowledge. I'll be in Maui on the 24th don't suppose you know what the rules and regs are concerning harvesting wood?

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 05:54:47 pm »
Welcome and post pics.   8)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 06:44:14 pm »
Welcome to the party.  Good folks here on PA.  Let's see some pics :)

Offline Wiley

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 07:10:37 pm »
I might be wrong because I've never worked with strawberry guava but if you rough a green stave out to close to final dimensions and clamp it down to prevent it from moving it should be dry long before before 8 months. If I was going to wait 8 months for my staves to dry I would look for a number of good trees so I had at least an 8 month supply of staves. Building bows is at least a little bit addicting, good to have enough wood around to support the habit.

Offline JonW

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 07:53:31 pm »
Welcome to the site. With a teacher like Manny, you should be making some killer bows in no time flat!

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 07:56:06 pm »
Welcome to the site. With a teacher like Manny, you should be making some killer bows in no time flat!

Stole the words from my mouth!

Welcome to the addiction!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 09:56:17 pm »
Welcome Clint,  I have a feeling your gonna end up with a sweet first bow, be sure to show us some pictures. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bordious

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 07:37:34 am »
Welcome. You'll find many helpful folks here with lots I knowledge. I'll be in Maui on the 24th don't suppose you know what the rules and regs are concerning harvesting wood?

I do not know the rules and regs are concerning harvesting wood, but I do know that strawberry guava is an evasive species here in Hawaii, so removal of those probably wouldn't be a big concern to anyone. 

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 08:55:39 am »
I might be wrong because I've never worked with strawberry guava but if you rough a green stave out to close to final dimensions and clamp it down to prevent it from moving it should be dry long before before 8 months. If I was going to wait 8 months for my staves to dry I would look for a number of good trees so I had at least an 8 month supply of staves. Building bows is at least a little bit addicting, good to have enough wood around to support the habit.

Tried that, .......doesn't really work.

"Waiwi", Strawberry Guava doesn't really twist nor takes a forced shape, it doesn't really mater how close to bow shape you work it it will still take 6-8 months minimum to get to a decent MC, nowadays I prefer to wait 2 years,....It's a real dense wet wood and the climate here is pretty humid, ...Tropical  ;D ;D ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 09:46:51 am »
Welcome Clint....you've got one heck of a teacher/mentor, always loved manny's style and the pics he posted.  Glad to see you guys here!
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan