Author Topic: can you steam bend a bamboo backed bow glued with tight-bond 3 ?  (Read 4074 times)

Offline lukelawrence171

im about to build another bamboo backed osage bow and i want to put some reflex in the tips i was going to glue it together with tight-bond 3 and i know its waterproof but will it hold up to steam bending?                                                         

or will a heat gun work i would think that that would be worse for the glue considering its only rated for so much heat?

just wondering if anyone has done it before if not, ill just reflex the board before i glue it up. :-\

Offline Wiley

Re: can you steam bend a bamboo backed bow glued with tight-bond 3 ?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 09:34:59 pm »
Heat, wheter dry heat or steam will release TBIII. MAke your bends before glue up, or glue the reflex in when you do your glueup.

Offline lukelawrence171

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 09:42:54 pm »
yea thanks thats what i thought its a 3/4 in osage board so i cant really bend it during glue up so ill steam bend it before then wait a couple of days.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 10:28:00 pm »
Get It down to a half inch and it will bend like butter
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lukelawrence171

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 10:34:27 pm »
yea i kind of want to put slightly static tips in it so im kind of scared to take it down ive never done an osage board before  ???

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 10:41:03 pm »
Get it to a light floor tiller and bend them hooks in and glue in the reflex
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 10:41:32 pm »
That's my plan once I get around to the boo and osage I got
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 05:45:19 am »
For (static) recurves, you could do kerf bending. Like this nice example here. Works great when you're working with thick belly wood, but you could indeed also reduce the thickness of the osage prior to the glue up and it will bend into a gentle curve at the tips. But for severe recurves, kerf bending allows for tighter curves.
Do not heat any laminated bow with either steam or dry heat. No glue will be strong enough to deal with this without weakening the joint.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 07:30:35 am »
You need to do it before if its going to be more than what you can induce during the glue up...and you also need to thickness taper it before glue up(unless you want a straight glue up)...lots to say and for you to learn in how to properly taper your lams pre glue up...if ya wanna induce a nice even shape and put the bends where there supposed to go they need to be tapered down and def reduced more than an inch so it'll bend easier.....the more work done pre glue up the easier it is...80%+ of the work is done pre glue up....if your osage board is an inch+ thick then you prob have two bows in it,or at least one belly piece and one core piece for maybe  a tri lam later down the road once you make some more lam bows and get the jist of it down well....in simple terms make the handle section a half inch thick parallel,and then from the fades taper it to 3/8" thick at the tips for normal bunting weight flat bows...

And no need to put extra work kerfing for your curves with osage....it heat bends super easy and none other woods can compare IMO....especially at those thicknesses with dry heat...but if going for sharp shorter statics then you'll need to steam them in