Author Topic: Tip overlay questioin  (Read 2697 times)

Offline David_Daugherty

Tip overlay questioin
« on: April 18, 2014, 08:41:44 pm »
Working on my first re-curve Osage bow.  Want to put the black horn tip overlays on the tips.  I guess its either cow or buffalo horn.  Where would be the best place to purchase the horn?  What does everyone use to shape and smooth the horn?  I assume a file and sandpaper but thought I had better ask. 
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline lukelawrence171

Re: Tip overlay questioin
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 08:49:09 pm »
Tip overlays are my favorite part of Bow making I've only used horn a couple of times and it was from deer I killed but I know 3 rivers sells nice blocks of cow horn and most online places do also you might want to check pine hollow longbows. I have used belt sander with a 120 grit paper it worked the best for shaping horn :D

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 10:39:35 pm »
You need to go to Echo Archery and click on Bow-making Supplies.  He has all sorts of goodies.

Offline echatham

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 10:41:38 pm »
x2 on echo archery, but knife making suppliers also have all kind of fancy stuff.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 11:40:02 pm »
Check out our own "Trading Post".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 11:51:28 pm »
Go to your local pet store or farm supply store.  They have started selling horns as dog chew toys.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 11:56:26 pm »
For about $2,200 I can get you a matched set of American bison horns.  Comes with an entire bison, no extra charge!

I have sawn horn with everything from a light coping saw, to a hack saw, to a carpentry saw.  It's pretty easy to work.  You can then shape with rasps, files, sandpaper, and even with a scraper.  I have also used power tools like a dremel, tec.  But you also risk burning the horn if you use high revolutions.  Once burnt, you will need to scrape down under the brown stinky damage. 

Then once it is smoothed out as nice as you can get it with 600 grit sandpaper, use some chalk on a strip of cloth and polish away.  When it is as polished as you like, rub a little wax into that strip of cloth and a little more elbow work will make it glow!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 12:03:35 am »
You can do it like jdub says or when you get all the marks out use a buffer pad on a bench grinder brings the shine right out, and I will vouch for Echo archery as well, fast service from a member here
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 11:20:05 pm »
Thanks guys for all the tips.  Yes I checked out Echo Archery and like their selection of materials.  I do have another question-do you shape the horn nocks prior to attaching them to the bow or roughly shape them attach to the bow then finish them up??

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 11:32:29 pm »
I get mine from echo archery as well.
I leave them 1/2" wide and taper one side so it's easy to make the tradition to the wood. A belt sander is my best friend when doing overlays. Check out Gordon's hazelnut D bow tutorial. Great instructions on overlays.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 11:55:11 pm »
Brice, I just went through the tutorial.  Great instructions, I had no idea I needed to bevel the end of the bow to prepare the overlay.  Thanks for the help!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 12:19:07 am »
David, you don't need to taper the tip but you do still need a flat surface that matches the overlay. A good glue joint is the critical part.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 02:34:54 am »
For further help you may want to check this thread here:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,1729.0.html
Frank from Germany...