Author Topic: Handle  (Read 10773 times)

PK

Handle
« on: December 29, 2007, 02:41:37 am »
Any sugestions on how I should proceed with the handle of this Hickory. The last Bow was an x bow, this time a cutout. I would like to add some recurve but I think I will leave out the deflex? I promise I won't deleat the post this time, Its not E-mail ::)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
Re: Handle
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 10:02:57 am »
I never shape my handle untill the bow is fully tillerd to draw weight, this way you can pick which limb is better suited to be the botom limb, and find the best point for the arrow to pass.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 11:19:37 am »
Ryan is so right on that, next time tiller first so that if one limb wants to be stringer or weaker you can turn the bow over to get it on the appropriate side, top/bottom.  Sometimes you will also discover that the string lies to one side when you are finished, so you don't have to cut the shelf as deep if that side is the arrow pass. But since it is started, I would reduce some of the wood on both sides and on the belly of the handle so that it is comefortable to put the web of your hand around with your index finger on one side and your thumb on the other. I like to leave the palm of the handle a little higher so it puts presssure on the hand while in a relaxed state with the arm extended. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

PK

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 02:46:32 pm »
See I told ya I needed to learn more, sounds like an exelent and logical way to proceed . Sanding the back to the Next ring  is a good advice given to me.
I read so Much But gotta see the experienced do thier work to be sure. Thanks, PK
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 04:27:54 pm by PK »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 06:13:00 pm »
Read Gordons build along.  It will take you through it step by step. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

PK

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 07:35:39 pm »
well I sanded down to the next ring Lost about 20# But still got to back it. Gordons BA is really informative .
 Bow is 70" Right Now But Iam cutting down to 68 or 66 to add more # So far 40 @ 28 still (need to unstiff the mid limbs) and add the backing backing. Still unorthidox with my technique like to try 5 or more way to do something Thats why I'm asking for your expertise. off to tiller the rest of the day.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 11:36:54 pm by PK »

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 08:33:41 pm »
She's bending to much at the fades get the middle of each limb bending a bit more.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 04:36:06 pm »
What Dana said. Leave the fade area alone now and work more at mid limb.  You have enough length to remove a few inches from each limb tip and get your weight up. 66" ought to be plenty long.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

PK

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 06:35:15 pm »
I tried to deflex but it came out on the tree.
So I added  Static and the tiller is pretty much done.
I put the 2 layers of silk on the back.
About 40# @ @27 66" nok to nok
A cresent wrench works pretty good as a guage.
now I can work on the tip over lays, then the handle,Then check For allignment?

« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 06:37:42 pm by PK »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 06:39:04 pm »
Very graceful.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 07:43:45 pm »
Looks pretty good, you should be proud.  Justin

SW Utah

PK

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 12:46:10 am »
Well it took me all day to get this far, I am proud that I get to learn something new every Day
So far it seems to be just under40# @28 Cand tell my scale is cheezy. I will try the floor scale when I get the thin Finished.
Now to the Handle the the finishing.
Oh one more thing Ive Notice that every board Bow that I make with the rings --------------- always seem to have more Set than the Side cut that are////////////// Not that much angle ,ya know what I mean.
                                                                                                                ------------
                                                                                                                 ---------

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 12:54:06 am »
Flat grain seem to take more set than biased grain for me too. I guess there is more resistance in the edge grain than the flat.    Pat

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 08:45:10 am »
She looks nice Phil
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 09:21:01 am »
You did a fine job on that bow. I would not recommend chiselling the handle out like that though. Splits in the wood could be started that could compromise the bow.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com