Author Topic: What classifies as a selfbow?  (Read 11553 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: What classifies as a selfbow?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 04:59:28 pm »
"Selfbows" are made using a wide range of tools...from stone tools exclusively, to purchased tools such as bandsaws and beltsanders. In my opinion unbacked wood bows from billets should be considered selfbows even though typically a modern type tool such as a bandsaw is used for the splice. The majority of us use some form of modern tool in the building of a one piece selfbow. If billet bows were excluded from the selfbow category, you potentially exclude many people from participating due to their lack of access to quality full length staves.

I agree that "decorative" materials such as snake skins and thin barks (birch bark for instance) should be considered a selfbow still. The debate gains momentum when decussing from what point a glued material on the bows back crosses the line from "solely decorative", to adding some level of protection for the bow against breaking. A sinew backed bow adds protection as well as potential increased strength and performance, but is still considered a selfbow and is also an example of primitive construction. Some fish skins and rawhide most likely add some protection to the bow although not usually increased performance. With the almost unlimited range of potential backings, it could be a long winded debate as to where the line is drawn. Maybe the process involved in attaching the backing itself should be considered as a deciding factor between selfbow and backed bow. If the back of the bow is left in its natural shape with dips and uneven surfaces prior to applying the "plyable" backing, then it is still considered a selfbow. If the back of the bow is worked full length of the limbs to attain an even surface required for the gluing of a laminate, then it is considered a backed bow or laminated bow.  I agree with Oldbow that perhaps the wording should be changed to "laminated bow" to help cut down on confusion. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Red Dwarf

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 06:10:50 pm »
I guess that, primarly, I was curious to learn if there was a "standard" recognized definitation used by Archery Clubs etc. for organized events.
When is a backing not a backing.....?

Red Dwarf

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 09:44:41 pm »
Nope, LOL, no confusion here. Just that nobody wants to accept it. I gave you the standard daffynition. Let me elucidate it one more time. The term "self" refers to a homogeneity of materials. Thus, any other material but 1 piece of wood (or 2 joined at the handle) makes it something other than a "self" bow. The snakeskin does nothing to protect the back; nevertheless it is the back. Therefore, it is a backed bow. Back with hickory, sinew, silk, linen, rawhide - it is a backed bow.  Glue on 3 different lams of wood and make it a laminated bow.  3 different materials, not wood, -say sinew, wood, horn- make a composite bow. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 09:58:57 pm »
Jawge is absolutely right, the only item I am aware of that is up for some debate is weather or not snake skin should be considered a finish or a backing. I rechecked my primitive flight rules and presently snakeskin is recognised as a backing but could be changed in the future. Tip overlays less than 1 1/2" long of any natural material do not disqualify a selfbow. Steve

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 10:07:16 pm »
I agree, Badger. Tip overlays and horn nocks still make a selfbow a "self"bow. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 12:58:41 pm »
As for organised events, most 3D shoots and such usually just have a "primitive" class-natural material bows meaning no fiberglass and wood/cane arrows. Some allow synthetic strings and commercial field pointsin the primitive class, some don't.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Glenn R.

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 01:21:59 pm »
George, I stand corrected----went back and checked my TBB's and they refer to it as unbacked 'wood' bows and sinew/rawhide/snakeskin backed 'wood' bows. And while their examples are of a one piece homogeneous bow, they don't refer to it as 'self', even before the backing was applied.

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 02:28:32 pm »
No problem, Glenn. :) Jawge
Set Happens!