Author Topic: Free white oak  (Read 3279 times)

Offline DLH

Free white oak
« on: April 18, 2014, 10:16:30 pm »
I was given a white oak log today and spent the day splitting and sealing. It was about 16 on the small end. Not the best stuff but I have a bad habitat of turning down free wood. Fairly clean couple of knots but has some twist is the only thing. Ended up with 24 staves total 8 of which are belly splits. May rough one out tomorrow if I get around to it. I handled a couple of hackberry staves after packing all that white oak around all day and could tell a big difference. Think I can remove the twist fairly easy when it comes to it? Only thing I have done is locust and it came out pretty easy.

Thanks,

Daniel

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Free white oak
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 10:47:02 pm »
Nice haul, that's some tough stuff...I think it rivals Hickory but with better moisture resistance...
                                                                                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 11:43:26 pm »
Its free,  good stuff.  They sure charge enough at the lumber store for the stuff.   Our whole system is a mess, where we live in the Pacific North West, Alder grows like a weed here, most people use it for fire-wood.  It drys fast and burns reasonably clean.  But go to the lumber store to buy Alder in finished mill form they want $5. per board foot for the stuff. Go figure.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 11:48:23 pm »
Great haul looks like you split for the most you could great job :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 11:49:53 pm »
Nice haul Daniel!  You are working on a nice stave collection.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 09:31:38 am »
Nice haul, looks good. If you think further twisting is going to be a problem you might consider tying, strapping o duct taping some of your prime staves to a straight, seasoned board or pole as they dry.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 10:01:04 am »
Couple of weeks worth of bow making in that load. Have fun!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 10:28:40 am »
White oak is a very good bow wood.
I agree with Don, I think it is a little better than hickory with moisture, too, but maye not quite as tough but darn close.
You have some fine staves there. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 01:32:12 pm »
Nice haul! Great wood.

Offline Denham Archer

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 03:00:59 pm »
Nice haul, that's some tough stuff...I think it rivals Hickory but with better moisture resistance...
                                                                                                           Don
Well said, Donald.  I love white oak.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 07:11:04 pm »
Yea, there's a gentleman on here by the name of Howard Rodes (hrhodes) that inspired me to try White Oak. There for a while he was kicking out some show stoppers and even a character bow made from the stuff if you want to check it out. I got lucky and was gifted one from my brothers backyard, pipe straight. It takes a bend with heat easy and loves a deep heat treatment on the belly. I see your bark was trying to fall off, I wasn't that lucky in Jan.
                                                                                  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline DLH

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 09:31:54 pm »
Yes I was very suprised the sap was up. This one root balled last fall and my dads neighbor asked if I wanted it. There was about 6ft before the first limb so I lucked out. The tree was over a hundred years old I'm assuming it grew pretty slow.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 06:48:35 am »
Nice stash of staves! Should make some real nice bows. Is that "female" white oak? >:D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 09:50:22 am »
Man, that's a pile of fine bow wood!!  If you want to start on one next month, rough it out close to floor tiller and then clamp it down to a form so it won't twist on you while drying.  The rest of them I would seal the ends (and the backs if you choose to debark them now) and set them somewhere to dry indoors.   White oak heat/steam bends really well and will make any style of bow that you could desire.  Congrats on that haul!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline DLH

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 03:57:08 pm »
No hang downs on this tree Tracy I believe those peckerwoods are rare.

I got all the staves sealed back and ends and store in a barn for now. Have one semi roughed out to 1.5 in thick and full width plan on gradually working it down over the next few weeks.