Author Topic: Crooked tip...  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

Crooked tip...
« on: May 12, 2014, 12:54:40 pm »
I'm working on this sinew backed Osage and it's got a crooked tip. I've corrected twist with heat and weight, using a c clamp. Can I do the same with this tip?

Offline Eric Garza

Re: Crooked tip...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 01:00:23 pm »
You can always correct osage with heat, but that will not work with the sinew backing. Now that it's sinewed, I think you're stuck with what you've got.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 01:04:04 pm »
You might be able to move the tip over a little with heat. Heat from the belly side and try to stay away from where the sinew is. You could also remove the sinew, repair the tip them reinstall the sinew.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 01:10:10 pm »
I marked where the sinew stops. The crook is past it(static tips). Think I might be able to weasel it just enough to get it where I want it.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 01:32:44 pm »
You might try double foil wrapping the area that has the sinew and try to isolate the heat to the area you want to bend only. 

OneBow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 01:35:50 pm »
I'd clamp the bow to a form(2x4 will work) and add a clamp at the tip with some pressure on it. As you heat, tighten the tip clamp until it is slightly past where it should end up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 02:11:31 pm »
Maybe try getting it to brace first. You may not need the correction you think you do. If you do need to, I think you could gingerly heat up the area and bend it over. If your sinew lifts a bit, glue it back down. That portion of the sinew isn't doing much of anything anyway.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 02:22:35 pm »
What does it look like when strung. Keep in mind the twists in a bow can look entirely different through unseen quirks in the wood that manifest differently under stress.
 I have a static recurve of elm that has quite a bad twist on either tip and I spent some time trying to bring it in to line. Then I realized that the tip would actually lean the opposite way when the bow was strung. I should have actually left it even more out of line initially and it would have been just right when strung.
 I would string it up and clamp the handle in a vice and just manually wrench the recurve into a better degree of alignment. You can set the wood a fair bit that way.
 I have a couple of sinew backed bows that I do this to, the same way a horn bow might have to be balanced before shooting. It will hold for a shooting session and then creep back a bit when the bow is left unstrung for a long period.

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 02:41:58 pm »
Still haven't begun tillering. I'd planned on getting it braced or close to brace height before even messing with the tip. Just wanted to get some more eyes on it and weigh my options...