Author Topic: Texas Knapp-ins?  (Read 4905 times)

Offline Sasquatch

Texas Knapp-ins?
« on: February 13, 2014, 09:36:23 pm »
When and where? Who's going where? Thanks for the responses  :)

Offline Tower

Re: Texas Knapp-ins?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 10:01:06 pm »
Friday, April 25, 2014  to  Sunday, April 27, 2014
2014 Pedernales Knap-In

The Pedernales Knap-In will once again take place at the Blanco County Fairgrounds in Johnson City, Texas. This is located on the north end of Johnson City, Texas, on the west side of U.S. Hwy 281, and on the south side of the Pedernales River.
You can preview the site by going to either Google Maps (satellite view) or Google Earth. Navigate to Johnson City, Texas (west of Austin), then follow U.S. Hwy 281 north to the Pedernales River. The rodeo arena is a good, easy to find landmark. You will be able to see the grove of trees between the rodeo arena and the barns.
During the last two years, knappers were pleased with this site. We have access to a small covered pavilion (for inclement weather knapping) and a large area between the pavilion and the rodeo arena with several nice shade trees. The Blanco County Fairgrounds offer knappers plenty of parking, easy in-easy out access, several nearby convenience stores and restaurants, electricity for late-night knapping, water faucets, on-site trash dumpsters, and enclosed restrooms. I will rig up a makeshift shower like I did last year. Knappers will be able to camp at their knapping area or in the parking area. Better yet, since the Fairgrounds are adjacent to the Pedernales River, camping is available next to the River if one so desires.
What we don\'t have on site is motor homecamp trailer hookups. However, there is the nice Roadrunner RV Park (830) 868-7449). It is located 1.5 miles south of the Fairgrounds on the east side of U.S. Hwy 281 and just across the road from the Valero convenience store and gas station. There are also a couple of motels in Johnson City for those who want more comfortable accommodations. They are near the traffic light at the intersection of US 281 and US 290. One is the nearly new Best Western (830) 868-4044 and the other is the older and less expensive Hill Country Inn (830) 868-2614.
Given the high cost of travel these days, we are trying very hard to maintain a cost-effective and affordable Knap-In. There will be no charge for camping. However, all Knappers andor Vendors will be required to pay a $10 Registration Fee for the event. As usual, we will once again be asking knappers and vendors to donate items for our Saturday afternoon auctionfund raiser to help cover Knap-In expenses.
The Pedernales Knap-In will be open to the public at no charge. Since we are located right on the west side of U.S. Hwy 281 with high visibility and plenty of signage and parking, we hope to attract the public in good numbers. We will also be submitting press releases to the local newspapers to advertise the event.
In closing, we hope to see many of you the last weekend of April, 2014 at the Blanco County Fairgrounds in Johnson City, Texas for the Pedernales Knap-In!!!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 12:05:10 am »
Thanks for taking the time to write that! I just told my wife that I will be out of town for our anniversary.  I got a couple of looks from her  :o >:( >:( :'(. They were in that order too.   I will do my very best to be there!

Online JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 12:24:03 am »
Texas Hill Country Classic Knap In

What a delight it is to inform you of our fall knap in date for 2014. We’ll be meeting on October 3rd thru October 5th in Llano, Texas . We’ll have great food and great knapping available to all who attend again this year. Any rock vendors and bow makers or tool sellers, we invite you to attend. Your wares are sought after. Wives, Children and pets are also invited, although not necessarily in that order.

ROBINSON CITY PARK
2  MILES  WEST  OF  DOWNTOWN  LLANO ON F.M. ROAD 152       
DIRECTION  SIGNS  WILL BE POSTED
SEMINARS  WILL  BE  PROVIDED  FOR  THE  BENEFIT  OF
BEGINNING  KNAPPERS  AND  OTHER  INTERESTED  PARTIES

THERE  ARE  CAMPING  SITES  AND  R.V.  HOOKUPS
AVAILABLE  AT  THE  PARK  FOR  THOSE  WHO CHOOSE  TO
BRING  THEIR  TRAVEL  TRAILERS

Spring (Pedernales) Knap In

Also, Ron Feisler has set the date for his Spring knap in in Johnson City. It will be held April 25th thru 27th at the location as before. We would encourage all those of you who have asked for a spring event to attend Ron’s event. We certainly plan to attend from here on out. It will be a great thing for us to be able to attend both events each year. Both cities are excellent choices for location and atmosphere. We’ll send this message out more times between now and the  knap dates to remind you who are interested.

Richard Dobie, Jim Scallorn, Mick Thurber (Tres Amigos)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 12:31:05 am by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline neuse

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 09:33:16 am »
Sounds good. Both dates are now on my calender.
I will be there.

Offline 1442

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 12:19:58 pm »
Not Texas, but the Niblets bluff knap in is practicaly right on the border of TX and LA first weekend in April this year I believe.

Offline Ink

• Jason Chollett
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 12:07:10 am »
Thanks for taking the time to write that! I just told my wife that I will be out of town for our anniversary.  I got a couple of looks from her  :o >:( >:( :'(. They were in that order too.   I will do my very best to be there!

If you end up going, give me a shout. I might go too (and help with the fuel  ;) )
Chew Motrin, drink water, drive on

Offline Newindian

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 03:10:35 am »
I think you will see me a Johnson city
I like free stuff.

Offline Tower

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 10:43:41 am »
Count me in for both if them. Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Online JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 05:38:31 pm »
TTT
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 12:50:12 am »
When y'all getting there? Me and Ink will be there around 2:30. 

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 01:11:00 am »
Is the Auction at the Johnson city knapp in for the public or the knappers? I don't know what to bring?

Offline Tower

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 08:50:41 am »
Anyone can bid.