Author Topic: Cross section  (Read 1711 times)

Don Case

Cross section
« on: April 17, 2014, 01:43:57 pm »
If you have a stave with a cross section that looks like this poor picture how much of the edges(vert lines) should you trim off? I read somewhere that the little triangle bits are contributing more weight than anything else. I realize that the amount of crown is going to make a difference but I'm looking for a rough idea.
Thanks

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Cross section
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 01:48:10 pm »
You don't have to square them up at all if you don't want to. Make the bow with an oval cross section, or make the belly flat and just round the corners off. Ive done it both ways depending on the woods characteristics.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 01:51:00 pm »
2x
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 02:40:38 pm »
What is the overall width?
What is the draw weight I'm after?
What type of wood?
Overall length?

Too many variables to answer with any specificity.  If it is highly crowned I will tend to go longer and narrower v shorter and wider.  You still have to have enough muscle to carry the load.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Don Case

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 03:33:01 pm »
When I asked the question I realized that there were a lot of variables. I just thought that in the big picture there must be some "rules of thumb". There doesn't appear to be :(

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 03:35:50 pm »
Don, it is true that those corners are just dead weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 04:40:39 pm »
I'd just remove those sharp corners until "they look good". Now, doesn't that sounds vague? O:)
But honestly. How would the wood 'know' where this sharp corner, that is indeed only dead weight, ends? Where does the limb start contributing in energy storage and how would you determine that?
I normally round the corners of a rectangular cross section to about the radius of a small pea. So in this case, I would remove the triangle until I can make half a pea sized edge.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286