Author Topic: Opinions on pyramid bow handle  (Read 6895 times)

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Opinions on pyramid bow handle
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 07:40:19 pm »
PeteF,  you asked for our opinions, so here's mine...

Honestly? I don't like the handle at all in the first pic.
- It is too wide (uniform 1¼" width is just too wide to be comfortable)
- It is parallel in width (widest in the center and slightly narrower on both ends is also more comfortable, but not necessary)
- The actual handle is too short; from where the fade ends and the shelf starts, you have basically 3" length to put your hand. Not enough.
- The shelf is personal, but yours is just too deep and too short. It'll get in the way when your sighting down the shaft, and the feathers will brush a lot of surrounding wood. Instead, I would not cut in a window into the handle, but only add some material (wood, leather, cork etc.) to the side of the handle. A sliver of material only 1" long and 3/8" thick is plenty to keep your arrow in place.

I am liking your second handle a lot better! Just the right width, no fancy shelf, just down to earth. If you want to add an arrow pass, you can still glue some wood or leather to the side of the handle after you've shaped it. There's no need to cut a shelf into the handle itself, if you want something for your arrow to rest on.

Those saw marks that make your board appear 'swirley' are not a problem at the moment, but make sure they are completely gone by the time you start bending the wood.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline PeteF

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 10:18:02 pm »
Thanks for the opinions. They helped a lot. I took it to the bandsaw for the 1" handle and started to do a little bit of sanding.
Ill post back when its finished

Offline PeteF

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 09:40:49 pm »
Well thought I would post back to say that my dog chewed up part of my bow... I blame myself for leaving it within reach lol.
Anyway I started A new one this time out of red oak and it went smoothly and quickly. On top of that It shoots great! I'm happy I went with this handle design, and surprised at how accurate and natural it feels. Thanks everyone for the input. Forget that shooting from the shelf crap!
Here it is 35# @ 28 64" NtN and sealed with Shellac. I rushed it so it aint perfect, but it shoots good and it will be good for my wife to learn on.

Offline Wiley

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 10:16:10 pm »
Braced pic looks good, got a full draw pic on it?

Offline PeteF

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 10:27:35 pm »
No but ill take a pic of it on the tree when I get a chance

Offline Wiley

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 11:01:13 pm »
Also do the handle fades continue into the limb? Hard to tell bit it doesn't look much like it. You want to have the handle sitting on a island of thicker wood to keep it from bending there to avoid popping the glued on handle off. It might not be an issue with a 35# bow but it's something to keep in mind if you just glued it on and started the working limb on the very edge of the glued on handle.

Offline bubby

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 02:49:14 pm »
you need to make a smoother transition in the fades those abrupt straight fades will cause a fail

kinda like this
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:52:38 pm by bubby »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PeteF

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 04:32:53 pm »
Thanks for the advice bubby. not to mention that its ugly too without the smoother transition