Author Topic: Mesquite Bow?  (Read 25194 times)

Offline RabidApache

Re: Mesquite Bow?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 11:57:20 am »
A couple of pic's of "Sally" my bow.

Close up of the handle. The bow is still pretty much roughed up with rasp marks here and there. Fininshed it with 180grit. I didn't want a pretty bow, I wanted something rugged, hammered and thrashed lookN >:D. Maybe I shoulda called it "hangover" LOL.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 12:03:18 pm by RabidApache »
Forever making arrows!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 06:10:11 pm »
The mesquite bows I've made were sapling bows: kids bows made from small diameter limbs with mostly sapwood.  Mesquite is very stiff (when fully dry) and works well for powerful short draw bows.   The wood is brittle in dry weather, however, so it might be best to back the bow with sinew...although the bows I have are not backed.

The wood steam bends easily, which is great for us who like to make double curve bows.  Mesquite holds its shape very well if you steam and shape it when it's green.  I haven't tried shaping Mesquite when dry, so I can't say how well it holds it's shape when heat alone is used.

The heartwood is different from the sapwood, in both color and strength.  I think an all-heartwood bow will be stronger than an all-sapwood bow but it is hard to find a straight section of Mesquite (with a large enough diameter) for a bow longer than 40" or so.  Also, sometimes there are voids in the heartwood that only show up after split and carve the wood...which can be very disappointing.  There are also lots of knots in Mesquite, so you will have to spend a lot of time looking for that "perfect" stave.

I recommend harvesting only green Mesquite wood.  Dead, standing Mesquite seems to be very brittle in most cases.  And do not store the harvested Mesquite with the bark on!  Beetles will get to it and the sapwood will look like swiss cheese in a few months (in warm weather).  The heartwood is somewhat more resistant to the beetles but not much.  I ALWAYS remove the bark and carve the wood down to bow dimensions before I let it dry out.  I've had problems with checking but I also didn't seal the wood...so you might try shellac or something.  Always seal the ends in any case.

(BTW - Thanks Cowboy)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 06:16:50 pm »
I have only madew a couple of short mesquite bows and noticed it had some tendency to chrysal. The iron wood that grows in az can make a fine bow but most likley would need to be spliced as finding a long straight piece id almost impossible. Steve

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 01:38:14 pm »
Welcome RA,glad to have you.That's a fine lookin' hickory bow you've got there.And,yes,mesquite will build a good bow,it's just hard to find a straight piece that's long enough.Hope you can find some. God Bless

I may have found some. 
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 02:42:20 pm »
Pretty awesome, Cip.  I'd love to see some sinew backed shorty jobs done!  Heck, I'd want to try my hand with one!!!  How long are those pieces?
Must be hard to find straightish stuff.
1’—>1’

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 03:04:20 pm »
Wow this thread was 4 years old  :o

Quite a bump

Offline criveraville

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 03:49:22 pm »
Pretty awesome, Cip.  I'd love to see some sinew backed shorty jobs done!  Heck, I'd want to try my hand with one!!!  How long are those pieces?
Must be hard to find straightish stuff.

Steve, these are 6ft long. Had to walk a lot and search to get em

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 05:47:27 pm »
Welcome.  Good folks right here on PA

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 08:10:43 pm »
Ed Scott makes the nicest looking bows ive ever seen and he makes some from mesquite
I like osage

Offline carpholeo

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 02:08:27 pm »
Screwbean Mesquite is the best of the mesquites for making a bow. Its what the Yuman Indians prefered. But as with all mesquite, its very hard to find a suitable piece.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 02:21:02 pm »
Screwbean Mesquite is the best of the mesquites for making a bow. Its what the Yuman Indians prefered. But as with all mesquite, its very hard to find a suitable piece.

I found some nice ones. 

Offline carpholeo

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2014, 08:44:10 pm »
Is that screwbean?

Offline criveraville

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2014, 10:46:44 pm »
Is that screwbean?

No. Just regular Texas mesquite.

Cipriano

Offline carpholeo

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2014, 11:48:14 pm »
Texas mesquite would be honey, velvet or another type?

Offline criveraville

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 12:19:06 am »
It's honey mesquite.