Author Topic: Any shame in backing?  (Read 3763 times)

Offline DuBois

Any shame in backing?
« on: April 16, 2014, 09:16:15 pm »
I have been thinking. Dangerous I know but, I have only completed 4 unbacked bows and 2 were kids bows. I find myself wondering if it is too easy to just decide to back a bow and if that is a cop out in some way?

Is it a better bowyer that can pull off more unbacked bows without relying on a backing, or is it just smart and safe bow making to back when there is a bit of doubt?

I seem to doubt myself on every bow and could easily back them all for safety.

What say you?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Any shame in backing?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 09:26:16 pm »
If you put a lot of work in a bow and for some reason you think it might break because of a flaw in the wood, why not back it? Or if you are giving/trading and you question the integrity, or the person skills with self bows, I'd back it. To me making bows is my hobby and worrying what other people think about why I tried something they are not doing doesn't even come into the picture.

Do what you are comfortable with.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 09:36:20 pm »
I've backed when I had a question about bow integrity/grain runouts.  I've also backed because I just felt like having a plain looking rawhide back on the bow. 

But remember, rawhide is not kevlar.  If the grain is bad enough or the tillering far enough off, it can still blow on you!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 09:46:15 pm »
I've only backed one bow. I just prefer the raw wood and simplicity but I don't think backing bows makes you any less of a bowyer that's for sure
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 09:49:00 pm »
Its a lame azz excuse for not taking the time to learn how to tiller/build a bow properly, I should know....:) Unless of course the wood/style demands it. Those are easy to pick out.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 09:56:04 pm »
I think a 'good' bowyer will make both with ease, and know when to apply each.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 10:09:16 pm »
  I can build about 5 backed bows for the price of an osage self bow. I prefer self bows but my budget likes backed bows.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 10:18:07 pm »
I wouldn't know cuz I've never made a backed bow  ;D
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 10:24:15 pm »
I certainly don't feel any shame when I make a backed bow. If I'm making it for someone else, I usually sleep better at night.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 10:27:04 pm »
Its a lame azz excuse for not taking the time to learn how to tiller/build a bow properly, I should know....:) Unless of course the wood/style demands it. Those are easy to pick out.

Lookin' down your nose again there mister snooty pants?? I think we should have a build off... your best selfie against my best laminate. Similar style... similar specs. Huh? You up for it? Hello? Christopher? Pwuuuck-puk-puk.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 10:34:09 pm »
   Sometimes the backing is not to hold the bow together , but to protect a softer wood from damage............................ I wish I would have backed that sweet shooting Elm  before I dropped it and dented the back. :( Fatal mistake.   

Break a couple bows, then you will get a better picture of just how much  a piece of wood can take. Just think of it as another tool that will allow you to make a great bow  instead of firewood.

Offline adb

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 10:39:56 pm »
Yup... couldn't agree more. John Strunk is famous for backing his yew selfbows with rawhide for that very reason.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 11:07:55 pm »
Shame? maybe, but not regret. I've had a couple bows break or crack that were backed with linen or burlap (not yet from rawhide) and I feel it was likely the backing that allowed the bow to break rather than explode.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 11:16:51 pm by Hrothgar »
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline zenart

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 12:35:10 am »
Easy enough to get the protection thing. Wouldn't performance be a part of the equation? I mean, aesthetics aside, from the onset the bowyer is making key design decisions based on the bow's intended final use. From this perspective, the bow may require a back, it may not. Has nothing to do with shame unless you make it so.
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 12:53:14 am »
I love selfbows...but if the back is iffy because of very thin rings, knots or swirls, etc.  I'll add a rawhide backing. I don't think I would decrown a stave just to add a hard backing but I have made lots of hickory backed bows.
 Many of folks think I'm nuts anyway so I really don't care what they think about me backing a bow.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC