Author Topic: Tiller check please  (Read 2932 times)

Don Case

Tiller check please
« on: April 16, 2014, 07:00:19 pm »
Here's the OS with the bump. The full draw was 45# at 26". I overshot a bit when the camera timer started to flash. It's a little flat where the bump is on the right limb and I think I'm seeing a bit of hinge on the right limb just out of the fades. I'm shooting for around 40#.
I'm kind of puzzled why the brace shot is so uneven. Advise please.

Offline Crogacht

Re: Tiller check please
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 07:08:17 pm »
Just going from examples that I have seen around here and in TBB, it seems like the limbs of your bow leave the handle at slightly different angles, so when you brace it, it kind of just accentuates it. However you tiller it for full draw, so if it looks good there I would say "great".

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 07:10:22 pm »
I agree.You have 2 different limb entry points into the handle which might throw off the brace tiller. Full draw tiller is not bad. Looks like the right limb needs a few scrapes mid limbs to nock. that may give a better brace tiller too.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 07:12:37 pm »
yep the right limb is not doing anything2/3rd's of the limb, get that bending and it will look better at brace
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 07:14:49 pm »
How's the timing?  >:D

Don Case

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 07:16:16 pm »
I've been scraping away at that spot all morning. That's where the big lump  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,46150.0.html is and I was a little hesitant to scrape any more there. Maybe just a few more.

Don Case

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 07:17:11 pm »
How's the timing?  >:D
I figure I'll have'er done this week >:D

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 07:18:17 pm »
Yip ,outter right limb has to come around a bit and maybe a bit stiff on the right coming out of the fade.I would work the outter an. Check again
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 07:18:41 pm »
I had this same talk with pearlie on a bow I was building with stuff like that, he said plow ahead and make it bend and damn if he wasn't right ::) :laugh:

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 07:33:10 pm »

here's the example, bottom pic when I thought I need to not let it bend, and the top after chris chewed my a$$ :laugh:

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 08:11:33 pm »
We are talking about "ideal" here and that is something that eludes me for the most part but, I agree with bubby and George, and would add that since the left limb leaves the handle at a greater angle, and with the goal being that both limbs are equally strained at brace and full draw, shooting for that picture perfect shape may not be ideal.  If both limbs are equally strained, the brace profile may look a little off and in fact that would be "ideal".
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Don Case

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 08:23:18 pm »
here's the example, bottom pic when I thought I need to not let it bend, and the top after chris chewed my a$$ :laugh:

Big difference, Bubby! Can you remember how much draw weight you lost, if any?

I took a bunch more scrapes off the right(top) side. It looks better now. Now all I have to do is make arrows, shoot it a bunch, tart it up(Thanks Del) and then post it as my almost first bow.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 09:50:28 pm »
Your real close there. How's about you send it to me and Ill finish it off.......;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 09:52:38 pm »
I believe most draw weight is created in the first 10-12" off the fades. Most mid limb work you do takes only a few pounds off, and most often the bow gets faster.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Don Case

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 10:17:12 pm »
Your real close there. How's about you send it to me and Ill finish it off.......;)

I would but the collect freight from Canada would break you. :D :D