Author Topic: Any shame in backing?  (Read 3652 times)

Offline DGF

Re: Any shame in backing?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 02:34:38 am »
I'm just putting the final touches on my first rawhide backed bow and feel no shame. The design doesn't call for it however I put a small divot in the back while heat straightening. The rawhide gives me peace of mind and one more experience to learn from.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline dbb

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 05:05:29 am »
The only shameful thing about a backing is if its poorly done.
On the other hand a hard backing with perfect gluelines is in my book a testament of skill and patience.
You never know what you find digging in to a stave..so if a backing is needed for some reason just do it...but do it well ;)
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 07:04:36 am »
The only shame should be felt by those who have never even tried to make a bow!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 07:19:08 am »
No shame here,if it needs it then I back it. :) I don't do hard backs but no shame it that either,I just don't do them.  :) in fact after thinking about it their is no shame in anyone building ANY kind of bow. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 07:23:39 am »
Its a lame azz excuse for not taking the time to learn how to tiller/build a bow properly, I should know....:) Unless of course the wood/style demands it. Those are easy to pick out.

Lookin' down your nose again there mister snooty pants?? I think we should have a build off... your best selfie against my best laminate. Similar style... similar specs. Huh? You up for it? Hello? Christopher? Pwuuuck-puk-puk.

Not at all Adam. Im talking about perfectly good boards or staves getting backed rather than chased clean or bought straight because its easier, or because an individual wont take the time to learn the skills needed to make that board or stave into a bow without a backing. Like I said, in the right situation or build you have to have a good backing for a bow to bow. Let me think about that build off over the summer!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 07:54:44 am »
Its a lame azz excuse for not taking the time to learn how to tiller/build a bow properly, I should know....:) Unless of course the wood/style demands it. Those are easy to pick out.

Lookin' down your nose again there mister snooty pants?? I think we should have a build off... your best selfie against my best laminate. Similar style... similar specs. Huh? You up for it? Hello? Christopher? Pwuuuck-puk-puk.

Not at all Adam. Im talking about perfectly good boards or staves getting backed rather than chased clean or bought straight because its easier, or because an individual wont take the time to learn the skills needed to make that board or stave into a bow without a backing. Like I said, in the right situation or build you have to have a good backing for a bow to bow. Let me think about that build off over the summer!
Fight! Fight!  Fight! >:D
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 08:48:59 am »
Nope! My dad taught me when I was very young to not pick on those poor nookers up nord Greg! Plus, Adam is "ok"....I guess...
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 09:12:21 am »
Its important not to get into the "fiberglass mentality" when building all wood bows, but just as important is not to get into the "anti everything having to do with fiberglass mentality". Do whatever you feel most comfortable shooting. I love self bows, but there is nothing that says you must only build self bows. Try your hand at some backed bows, you may gain insight into the magical realm of the self bow! ;)
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 09:13:24 am »
I use silk quite a bit as I like the look. On bows I should add  ;D

The osage I did a while back had some drying checks on the back and whilst they should not affect the life of the bow they looked ugly so I backed it. Also backed a few cherry bows just incase. I like the piece of mind that a backing gives, not so much to prevent an explosion but more to keep the shrapnel spread down.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 09:47:17 am »
If you started the bow as a selfbow in mind then every effort should be made to keep it that way but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 10:05:27 am »
Good comments above. Always a good idea to back your first few bows. As you proceed the unbacked bows will come. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline adb

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2014, 10:55:56 am »
Nope! My dad taught me when I was very young to not pick on those poor nookers up nord Greg! Plus, Adam is "ok"....I guess...

Snif, sniff... and I thought we were friends Chris. Or should I call you Christopher? Fine. Be that way. I didn't really like you anyway.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

All kidding aside, I'd like to do a bow trade or build off with yah Chrissie. I think it would be cool!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:06:58 am by adb »