Author Topic: My Hunter  (Read 9293 times)

Offline stiknstring

Re: My Hunter
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 04:38:19 am »
I was just lookin over your pictures again and something jumped out at me. If it were my bow I would take some sandpaper and a file to those nocks a bit and get them rounded out to save wear and tear on the string loops.  They look kinda sharp

Offline Wulamoc

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 09:05:43 am »
Nice job!!  I think 80# is awesome!
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. GEN-21:20

Michigan

Offline Kegan

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2007, 03:26:09 pm »
Venisonburger- No, I'm saving the stock you sent me. I found an old cut up circular saw blade, so I figured to make points outta it, and try a new attaching method. This stuff isn't as nice as the pieces you sent me, so I decided to try the little experiment on them :). It worked, so my next batch WILL be toating some points made from the excellent stock you sent me :)

Stiknstring- everywhere the string come in contact with the bow is rouded, I just left the backof the tips square and kinda ugly ;D. I use paracord for my bowstrinfs anyway, and I have a tough enought time cutting that stuff when I want to ;).

Glenn R.

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2007, 05:02:28 pm »
Kegan, thats a good looking bow, and I like heavy bows. I've got some 985 grain hazel shoot arrows that wood be awesome off that bow. Hopefully I'll be building a 'war bow' soon but I'll have to wait to see if the limbs hold up to the poundage. Have you used circular saw blades before? I wrote a story for the UBI  on making steel broadheads from saw stock but I'm using large industrial blades, about 16" dia. (have on occasion used 10" table saw blades) and do a bend test on coupons of steel to make sure they is enough temper--I snap them on a metal shear so there is no heat used and constantly water cool them as I apply the grind (perks of working in a fabrication shop)can usually get them to bend about 45 degrees before snapping in two. I have only ran into a couple of ciscular blades that were too hard. Don't forget the safety glasses. ;)

jamie

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2007, 05:12:15 pm »
awesome job buddy

Offline Kegan

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2007, 05:35:46 pm »
Jamie- Thanks :)

Glenn- What would are you using? And no, this is the first time I've used circular saw blades. These were already cut up (two were), and the rest I cut out by scoring with a dremel and snapping 'em. They seem to work well, but are a tad soft. I'll have to try that with my next ones  ;D!

duffontap

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2007, 10:28:21 pm »
Very nice work Kegan.  Heavy bows are a test of skill both for tillering and shooting.  I like bows in that range but they are a little hard on the body.  I hunted with an 83# longbow this year and I felt the same way about it.  Good cast with heavy arrows and accuracy at longer ranges.  The problem I had was that I tended to only shoot it better at longer ranges.  At hunting ranges of less than 20 yards (for me) I would have been better off with a 64" bow (or so).  I am interested in what you'll think of it after a couple months of shooting it.  I'm currently capable of pulling about 120 lbs. but even with an 80# bow my form suffers, accuracy drops, I break more arrows, I get sore and I have less fun.  If you are truly comfortable with that weight, you are stronger than me--no doubt about that. 

Again, congratulations on some fine craftsmanship. 

J. D.

Glenn R.

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 01:05:27 am »
Kegan, I've been working mainly with osage. My next 'heavy' bow is gonna have to be longer--I know that. Been trying to build a 100#er. Really not that out of scale with the work I do and being 6'2 and 300 lbs. I caught heck from a couple of our guys in the state organization for building a 54" ntn bow  :D  I have had trouble with the heavy poundages wanting to go out of tiller once exercised? I can tiller and get it looking good braced--begin to exercise--get close to full draw and bow goes out of tiller again--assuming its because I was asking to much of the wood and not leaving the bow long enough? Any suggestions? Also I'm wondering if I should have let the bow stay braced a day or two before exercising. Plan on trying black locust also--want the bows unbacked like ELB's. Realize bows like this wouldn't be practical to hunt with but would sure be cool to shoot. :)

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 01:08:44 pm »
Got your new Hickory Cannon bookmarked for Dec Self BOM.  With this bow, you could hunt in the next county and not leave home.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Kegan

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2007, 06:47:18 pm »
J.D.- Thanks ;D. Yeah, so far I've been able to hit my targets twice as far as I used to (usually ;)). I've been shooting alot at as many diffrent ranges as I can, but I'll still need more practice to be able to hit what I want at all of them  :). So far, at close range I can hit a 3" circle out to about 15 yards, and a pie plate between 20 and 30 yards. Longer ranges are up for grabs- I'm still leanring how to gauge distance. But so far, shooting longer, heavier bows with heavy arrows and Hill's split-vision method has drastivally increased my accuracy on the whole. I need more practice of course, but I'm having alot of fun in doing so ;D. I can't let the local tree rats fall into a fall sense of security >:D.

Glenn- I was amazed at how little hickory was needed to get a heavy bow, even with a 6' bow. So Osage should be no problem. As for weight, I can more easily draw this 80#, 70" bow than I can a 76#, 64" bow. Hill used 110# for hunting, so it may not be that impractical. As for the tiller, it took me a week to tiller the limbs and two days to break it in, all the while checking the tiller. Seems after all that, it finally held. The bottom limb is a bit stiffer though, if that affects anything.

duffontap

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2007, 04:19:32 am »
Kegan,  I think the long, heavy bows lend themselves nicely to the Howard Hill form.  They should, considering that he was a serious advocate for truly long and heavy bows and developed his style to meet his needs.  It sounds like your accuracy is very good.  It would be a good day for me if I was shooting 60-80% at the targets and ranges you mentioned.  I have recently switched from purely instinctive to true Hill style and my accuracy easily doubled.  For some reason, it just works better for me. 

Keep your form very good to keep from getting injured.  Keep the draw close to the body and the shoulders and arms in line. 

Remember too that your high percentage shots will be the very close range ones. 

Take care,

J. D. Duff

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2007, 10:44:40 am »
Keegan, the tiller on that bow is excellent. Well done! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2007, 10:42:25 pm »
Nice bow Kegan, the tiller looks excellant! I think using blunts and just shoot the base of the tree the squirrel is in...the concussion from that 80# bow should have the squirrel in the bag in short order! ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

duffontap

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2007, 01:46:33 am »
Nice bow Kegan, the tiller looks excellant! I think using blunts and just shoot the base of the tree the squirrel is in...the concussion from that 80# bow should have the squirrel in the bag in short order! ;D

;D :D ;D

Offline Kegan

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2007, 02:22:08 pm »
George and Greg- Thanks guys ;D!

J.D.- If it weren't for split-vision, I wouldn't be able to hit the broad side of a barn. Now, as long as I stay concentrated, I usually hit what I want (except for the target on our "range" ???). Seems that Hill/Asbell form when shooting instinctive allows one to easily switch to shooting split-vision, and now you actually acknowledge the arrow, thus helping you accuracy. At least I think so ;D.

Good point. I've started stretching my back and arms before hand, seems to help. And as for maintaining good form- I have to, or else I can't hit what I'm shooting at :).