Author Topic: A few new pieces  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Crogacht

A few new pieces
« on: April 18, 2014, 02:52:02 am »
We've had rain here almost constantly for the last week or so, but yesterday the wind picked up too. Trees all over the region started coming down. We lost water for awhile, but it's fixed now.

Anyway, I get excited when a storm like this rolls in, because it means FREE WOOD :D

The storm wasn't the worst we've seen, so most of the trees that came down were relatively "weak" trees... poplars, willows, pines and so on. There were a few natives down, all too bent and twisted for bows though. I went to my secret yew spot to see if the weather had made my job any easier, but no yews were down.

However, there is a  big old walnut down by the road and a somewhat straight branch had come down, maybe 4 or 5 metres long, so I cut it up and took it. Walnut is nice wood, so I took the small pieces too, they can probably be used for something. It has VERY tight rings, looks sweet.

I also went up the hill and grabbed a small fallen yew log that had been there for quite awhile.

Tomorrow I plan on getting permission to cut up a very tall black locust tree that has come on private land. If I get that one, I will have quite a few BL staves. Looks very straight.

Walnut and Yew in the car below.

Offline DLH

Re: A few new pieces
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 10:28:36 pm »
Congrats on the wood. I have been gathering some lately seems like I have spent more time gathering wood than anything else but it's one of my favorite parts of the process. Have a big cedar that was pushed out stump and all I hopefully can cut tomorrow but we will see. I'm like you everytime a big storm comes through I try to walk our property.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 02:14:37 am »
Awesome. I really enjoy that part of it too. It makes sense to get out when you can considering how long it takes to dry a piece of wood, even if you cut it down to a blank. It's nice to have a pile of wood to look at :D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 08:22:58 pm »
Nice wood! Is that boy old enough to drive? ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 12:50:18 am »
Haha, not quite, he's in the passenger seat though ;)

He'd probably try to though, that's why I never leave the keys in it, haha.