Author Topic: Bow Bench/Shaving Horse Plans Bowyers Journal Fall 2005  (Read 8965 times)

Offline Crogacht

Bow Bench/Shaving Horse Plans Bowyers Journal Fall 2005
« on: April 15, 2014, 06:55:55 am »
Hi all,

I'm attempting to track down a copy of these plans. I've tried to get in contact with the editor from the magazine (under the new name), but haven't had much luck. I've also tried a guy that has a build-along on his site. He mentions the magazine gave permission for these plans to be distributed as the magazine under that name is long out of print and as far as I know you can't get backorders. Tried online auction sites also.

If anyone has an old copy laying round I could get a scan from or anything really, I'd be pretty happy.

It looks like a very nice design, so if I can get a copy of the plans, I'll make a 3d design with measurements/materials/cut-list etc and write it up nice so anyone else has easy access to it.

Regards,

Ben

Offline TRACY

Re: Bow Bench/Shaving Horse Plans Bowyers Journal Fall 2005
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 07:08:21 am »
Ben, I have the issue and the horse I made from the plans. I would change a few things from the plans though like a padded dumb head and bench seat and a different foot treadle design. If I can find time I will get pics of plans but cannot figure out how to send pics in a pm. After 11 years I'm still using mine with modifications and still like it.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline autologus

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:15:11 am »
I need to build a shave horse bad, I just debarked a Hickory stave that I cut last winter and it was a booger.  I will only cut Hickory in the spring from now on.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 01:08:29 pm »
There are many free plans for them on the internet, do a search or two.
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 03:51:42 pm »
Buckeye, you haven't seen THIS one ;)

It's rather nice, hehe.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 04:28:02 pm »
Guess I better dig thru the old mags and see what I be missing then!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 12:01:51 pm »
Found this at Tenbrook Archery

Steve Bennett

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 01:27:28 pm »
That's it turtle!
Dislikes:  foot treadle will break off and the plastic saw horse devices for legs will eventually loosen/break

This is a good shaving horse overall!! I padded the dumbhead and bench and where I sit. Been working fine for several years. I'm going to make this again but a knockdown version that can be taken apart and assembled for traveling.

Tracy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 04:23:09 pm »
I built one similar to this years ago and got the info from PA Magazine. I used the plastic saw horse brackets and never had a problem with them or the foot treadle although I did screw and glue the treadle together.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 04:44:40 pm »
AWESOME!!! :) Thanks turtle and Tracy. There looks like plenty of info there to get the job done.

Thanks again. I will post a pic here when work slows down a bit and I get the chance to knock one together.

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 05:42:54 pm »
I'm wondering if I could get those plastic sawhorse brackets made up in steel.... that may be worth considering.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 06:14:07 pm »
I built one similar to this years ago and got the info from PA Magazine. I used the plastic saw horse brackets and never had a problem with them or the foot treadle although I did screw and glue the treadle together.

Pat,
I think Tracy may be a little "bigger boy" than you.... >:D :)....Tracy  ;)  :)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 07:21:03 am »

Pat,
I think Tracy may be a little "bigger boy" than you.... >:D :)....Tracy  ;)  :)

Yes Pat, I use that thing like a jungle gym wrassling staves rocking back and forth ;D Probably why I replaced the plastic sawhorse clamp.
I used treated lumber and it has been outside in the weather for years and is in real great shape.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 03:11:38 am »
That's neat.. Looks like a dandy.
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 07:54:20 pm »
Those plastic rigs work a lot better if you cut grooves in the plank where the extra bit  from the bracket makes contact. Then the bulk of the bracket bottoms out on the underside of the plank and stays put. I just cut my  horse down to 50" in length . 60" was far longer than needed. I also used a different configuration for the head on my latest.  I'll see about some pics.