Author Topic: Ash backed ipe  (Read 5194 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Ash backed ipe
« on: April 15, 2014, 02:22:58 am »
Well I got some ipe from skarhand, thanks Joshua. The ash had the best grain so I said why not? Used electrical tape for glue up. Easy to use and multiple passed gradually get tighter. I'll let u all know how it goes when I try and clean it up. 60" long 3/16" ash backing. Sand down to an 1/8". What ya think?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Blaflair2

Re: Ash backed ipe
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 02:24:06 am »
Also don't mine the mess  O:) I know where mostly everything is.... Well the important stuff, like my table saw and bench.

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 03:31:19 am »
It'll be interesting to see how it comes out.
Sparky tape isn't really strong enough for clamping glue-ups imo. Try going to your local bike shop and ask  for the old inner tubes. I get as many as I can carry for nothing.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 08:30:53 am »
I've used the tape before on a practice glue up. The glue line was very good, I'll let u know once I clean it up

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 09:55:51 am »
If the glue surfaces are good most types of tape will do the job. I have used the clear tape that Hockey players use to tape their shin pads in place and got an outstanding glueline.
 Inner tubes of course are cheaper and can apply  more pressure. I just happened to have a roll of the tape at hand.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 10:03:34 am »
Big box stores will sell 2" c clamps for under $2 quite often. I bought 30 of them over a year period. That's all I use for the very, very few glue ups I fiddle with anymore. Just don't tighten them down much more than they need to stay in place. Leave the glue between the glues surfaces and not all over the bench.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 11:27:58 am »
I walk clamps down snugging it up, not to starve it. Then wrap tape pulling tight. It's produced excellent results for me. I have to clean it up still but I'm sure it's gonna be good. I also cut the backing a little narrower than the belly. So when I wrapped the tape it didn't cup the ash. I think that is a big help. I'll let y'all know

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 03:42:47 pm »
I cleaned up one of the ends, it looks pretty good. It has a little less bend than I put on it. I started building up the handle.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 03:49:15 pm »
nice glue lines

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 04:14:00 pm »
Don't like that Ipe grain orientation. You're likely to get "plate shifting" with the lines running at such an angle.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 05:55:11 pm »
All I can do is try

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 06:00:27 pm »
Thanks jordo. I think it works well

Offline Bearded bowyer

• I'm younger than I look.........honest!
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 06:06:04 pm »
Good luck.
I am very interested to see how it goes as I have been thinking of doing similar bows, but I've been wondering if the ash can cope with the Ipe. I usually use hickory or bamboo as a backing for my Ipe bows.
I'm very interest to see how you get on.
Matt

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 06:46:32 pm »
Plenty of Ash Backed Ipe bows out there. Good straight ash is well up to the task.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 02:31:24 am »
Well I got it cleaned up and a few overlays on the handle. Still not floor tillered. It's crazy how much ipe is on the bow and it still very rigid. Does ipe like a more round belly or flat?

Handle overlays are English walnut.

P.s. My electrical tape glue line is a fine looking girl. I think it works well.