Author Topic: Cold training  (Read 6949 times)

Offline Eric Garza

Cold training
« on: April 14, 2014, 08:16:21 pm »
I suppose this is a primitive skill, so I'll share it here. Over the past four years I've been developing my cold tolerance, and here in Vermont a warm snap has finally made the ice covering Lake Champlain start to break up. I managed to sneak into an open area between ice sheets for a swim earlier this afternoon, then lied out on the beach in the sun afterwards. The water temperature was just a shred above 34 Fahrenheit (1.2 Celsius). Left me feeling refreshed and limber!

The above photograph was kindly taken by a cyclist from shore with her phone. Not the best image quality, but she did the best she could without a zoom lens given how far out in the lake I was. My skin is so red it looks like I've got a severe sunburn, but I don't. When I'm in cold water my blood rushes to my skin, giving my skin a deep red hue. It goes away within a few minutes of exiting the water.

Anyone else out there in PA land partake?

For those who are interested, I wrote up a more detailed blog post about cold training earlier this evening: Embracing the chill.

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Cold training
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 10:03:16 pm »
Geez, I turn purple when the water is only 72
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 10:22:16 pm »
Ou can almost make out three adam's apples in his neck
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 10:33:42 pm »
LOL!!!!!!!!!  ;D  >:D
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 11:46:26 pm »

Dang!  so uh..... how long does it take for your rectal sphincter muscles to relax after a dip like that, not to mention for your voice to reach a baritone level again? ::)  Are you able to swallow, without getting a severe stomach pain? ::)
No Eric, I think you are pretty much the only one on here who does this type of training.  We train for heat down here, in Florida, In the shade, with a cold one, or in the air condition.  ;)

Wayne

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 11:50:45 pm »
I'm with you Eric!- been taking cold showers exclusively  for the last 8 years.(except when someone wants to join)  As cold as it goes.  I've checked the temp and its anywhere from 3-7 degrees C in the winter. Also a fan of ice baths.  I've noticed my cold tolerance has definitely improved, but my heat tolerance has gone down, haha.

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 02:18:24 am »
Come Live In Northwest MN for a winter...+30 feels like a heat wave..And You don't have to tie a string on anything to retrieve it after a cold swim....
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 08:19:49 am »
...so uh..... how long does it take for your rectal sphincter muscles to relax after a dip like that, not to mention for your voice to reach a baritone level again? ::)  Are you able to swallow, without getting a severe stomach pain? ::)...

Not a problem. I'm so used to cold water at this point that muscles don't tense up when I first go in. I'm distinctly aware that the water's cold and can't stay in forever without shivering, but it just doesn't have the same effect on me that it used to.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 08:58:01 am »
Cool, ;) ;D ;D ;D I am a hot shower warm water kind of guy,don't know how you stand that. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 03:14:22 pm »
It was a tradition in college that all the crazy kids would go barreling down the beach after the bars closed at 1, naked as jaybirds.  New England in Feb. could be a real treat with ocean temps usually around 36 or so in RI.  Needless to say, I'd keep the heat running in the car!  I always liked the ritual to get all the damned cigarette stink off me.

I used to help teach scuba up there and diving in March would be PAINFUL.  Underwater for about 15 minutes and it would take the rest of the day to warm back up.  I don't miss it!!! 

Have fun.
1’—>1’

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 06:40:39 pm »

lmao omg that was a good one jw hahahaha

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 09:19:03 pm »
Hey!  I know that lake!
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 09:42:28 am »
Really? Live nearby?

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 09:49:09 pm »
Coldcheddar born and raised
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 11:51:34 pm »
...so uh..... how long does it take for your rectal sphincter muscles to relax after a dip like that, not to mention for your voice to reach a baritone level again? ::)  Are you able to swallow, without getting a severe stomach pain? ::)...

Not a problem. I'm so used to cold water at this point that muscles don't tense up when I first go in. I'm distinctly aware that the water's cold and can't stay in forever without shivering, but it just doesn't have the same effect on me that it used to.

Oh, yea, what's your wife say about shrinkage? ;D ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?