Author Topic: First Osage Haul. How'd I Do?  (Read 5103 times)

Offline FRITZ 86

First Osage Haul. How'd I Do?
« on: April 12, 2014, 09:25:50 pm »
Just got back from the land of Oz and managed to find and cut these two osage logs. They are 70" long and 6-7" diameter sealed with three coats of shellac. I looked long and hard for these as an "osage newbie" they were not easy to find! Bark runs straight, no obvious cat faces, and no large limbs. I was going to let them set awhile before I split them, but am unsure how long. Just trying to keep them twisting and warping too much. These didn't come from a hedge row, but from a "osage orchard" according to my farmer friend. All of your opionions and comments are appreciated. I am really excited to try my hand at some yellow wood even though it will be awhile before it's dried.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 09:29:57 pm by FRITZ 86 »

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: First Osage Haul. How'd I Do?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 09:36:04 pm »
Looking at the bark, I don't think there is a lot of twist in those two!  I like'em for that!

Early to late wood ratios are amazing, I love'em for that!

Well done, young Jedi!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline rps3

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 09:55:33 pm »
I would at least split them in half now or they might start splitting in ways you wont like.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 10:00:04 pm »
Looks like some good stuff.  They are telling you where they want to split.  Listen to them and half them at least.  If you take the bark and sapwood off seal the backs just like you did the ends.  Keep them out of the sun and heat or they will check no matter how much sealer you have on them.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 10:12:03 pm »
Looks like the logs are showing you where to split. OO 's advice is the same as mine. Curious as to what the center of the heartwood looks like with those dark splits on the end.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline FRITZ 86

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 10:34:21 pm »
Thks fellows! I will half them tomorrow and move them indoors. Probably wait awhile to remove bark and sapwood too busy! Guess that's ok?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 11:08:21 pm »
It will be fine to leave it on.  It will be harder to remove when it dries

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 11:31:55 pm »
Those look like some great osage logs.  That dusty Kansas osage is supposed to be some of the best.  When you do get around to removing the bark and sapwood, seal the backs as best as you can. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline FRITZ 86

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 11:53:29 pm »
Thks . One question should I try to split the one with 3 cracks in 3rds?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 01:17:21 am »
You can if you want.  It won't hurt anything.  The splits should be big enough to where they won't warp or twist to bad.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 01:22:36 am »
You did terrible! Mail those to me at once so you won't have such an eyesore laying around! Doubt there's a bow in any of that stuff.  ;)
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline FRITZ 86

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 01:37:55 am »
U  a hoot bro! I shed alot of sweat and some blood for those two! Come hell or high water I'm making some kind of bows out of them. Thks for the comments fellows. Will post some more pics after I get to work on them.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 06:39:15 am »
Fine logs. Split into quarters, as osage doesn't like being left in log form. Start wedges on the black splits in the end grain. They should be pretty darn perfect.
                                                                           Hamish.

Offline zenart

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 06:48:13 am »
-YOU- are a lucky man. They call California the Golden State but all the GOLD is back east.  :-\
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline FRITZ 86

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 11:47:31 am »
Got up and got them split into halves. I think the grain runs pretty straight. The halves came out pretty equal. Pretty humid here in Louisiana so I'm bringing them into my central air house. I was thinking about leaving it in halves and letting it dry awhile before splitting into quarters. Trying to keep them from bowing and twisting too much. Is that the right train of thought with osage? That's how I do with my hickory.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 11:54:46 am by FRITZ 86 »