Author Topic: Question before retillering  (Read 5261 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Question before retillering
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2014, 11:51:13 pm »
We're not being negative. You asked a question, we answered. As a backing strip, it is a bad piece. If you don't want honesty don't ask for it. We can lie and say it looks great but we'd be giving you bad information and advice. You back a bow because the back is violated and won't survive. Backing it with another piece that's just as bad won't help.

Offline bubby

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2014, 12:02:45 am »
Make the middle 16" parallel and then a straight taper to half inch  don't over complicate it
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 12:17:56 am by bubby »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline adb

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2014, 01:08:14 am »
Do you guys even realize how negative you are?   This is what I have to work with.  The backing strip was given to me from what was available at the time.  You are taking away any bit of joy that I am trying to have in building and sharing a bow, even if it does turn out to be a failure.  I do not have the resources that most of you have, I am doing all of the work on my kitchen counter!

I'm not expecting perfection from this bow, I just wanted it to be better than it was.

All I wanted to know in this latest update is if the layout was decent or if I should do it differently.

You asked. Should we lie to make you feel better? You say you want to make this better than it was. That might not be the path you're on. You've taken the time to work on this bow, why not spend the time making changes that will be productive and provide a favourable outcome?

Offline Wiley

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2014, 02:34:22 am »
Blob, no one here is trying to kill your joy. I'm sure just about everyone would prefer to see you succeed rather than fail. Them telling you the backing is bad is to help you succeed. You need very straight grain, the sort of material you would find in quarter sawn lumber that came from a very straight growing very straight grained tree with no knots, not all wood is suitable for this job.

I would remove the backing and get a better one to put on it. TBIII will weaken with heat.

Offline okie64

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2014, 10:31:26 am »
While it may seem that a lot of the comments are negative these guys are really just trying to help you be successful in your build. Ive only used maple backing strips a few times and the ones I used were quartesawn so I cant tell you how many run-ups flatsawn maple can handle. If that were hickory it would probably be ok but still not an ideal piece. When a backing strip has that many run-ups it is an bad indicator that the board was sawn at an angle to the face of the tree or the rings are really thin. If the maple backing lifts a splinter the oak will probably blow up with it. I think thats what most of these guys are trying to tell you.  :)

Offline TimBo

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2014, 12:23:20 pm »
I did so many "experiments" on my first bow, including heat treating, shortening the limbs, backing...it never did shoot great, but it did end up shooting!  I probably wouldn't take that much time on one now, but for me it a was worthwhile learning experience. 

However, I would not use that maple backing.  Have you considered a fabric backing like silk or linen?  You should be able to pick them up fairly easily. 

Offline Bearded bowyer

• I'm younger than I look.........honest!
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2014, 12:32:35 pm »
Hi Blob
I haven't worked with maple so don't know what its like. Keep it wide and the draw weight down.
I my early days I made ash bows with horrible ring violation and run off, most have survived to this day, but they are lower poundage. The tiller must be as good as you can get it. Make a tillering gizmo, it should help.

I know a very famous bowyer who recommends using a very watered down coat of glue on the back of non perfect timber to try to help it to stay together...not sure what the general opinion is about this though....

Best of luck, looking forward to seeing how it goes.
Matt