Author Topic: Yew recurve I am working  (Read 3069 times)

Offline rps3

Yew recurve I am working
« on: April 11, 2014, 12:02:48 pm »
For Pa, this might qualify as high elevation, cut at my son's house at a whopping 2200 ft. I am taking pearl drums advice and am now working this bow from the back, removing as much sapwood as possible due to the fact I will be adding sinew. Poundage feels good at this point so more sapwood will be coming off. All the sinew bows I have so far were done with tb3, this will be my first using hide glue, figured it is about time. Wish me luck, and I am open to any advice.

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Yew recurve I am working
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 12:17:08 pm »
awesome, thatll be one cool bow when done

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 12:21:53 pm »
Id say its time for some sinew Bob. My best advice for a good sinew job is to be sure its plenty runny, like warm syrup or even more runny. And, squeeze most of it back out before you apply the "sheet". Ive never had a single bow crack, creak, peel up or even change more than a pound or two doing it this way. I always apply a layer of hide glue to the bows back the day before as well. Let it dry 6-8 weeks and your ready to rock. I realize there are 3 million other ways to do it that can work well to.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline ohma2

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 05:33:34 pm »
That aught to be a sweet shooter.that vice its setting on caught my eye to thats a monster where did you come across that? Very interesting.

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 06:52:52 pm »
Looks sweet. Love the curves.

Offline rps3

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 09:14:03 pm »
Thanks for the tips Chris, hopefully I am slow tonight at work and I can search the different methods people use to keep the hide glue warm and decide what suits me and equipment available.

ohma2, that is a blacksmith post vise. I am lucky enough to have found 2 on craigslist. Awesome tool.

Don Case

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 01:14:16 am »
One of those warmers for a cup of coffee keeps a can of glue at about 140 degrees. Or you can go to a beauty salon and get them to order a wax warmer for you. They are adjustable. Cost about $35 here in Canada.

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 03:44:02 am »
Don't pull it anymore until the sinew is on  ;)
If you put the sinew on in thin layers and give each a week to dry inbetween you will cut the overall drying time right down. Make sure to 'stack' the sinew along the center. Aiming to make the finished back as rounded as possible with very little sinew on the edges.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 05:05:41 am »
I found a cheapo 1L deep fat fryer that works a treat for keeping hide glue warm.
there's a pic on my blog here.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/glueing-up-ashcherry-bow.html
I put water in it rather than fat. The glue goes in a glass jar which stands in the wire basket. I used a digital thermometer to spot calibrate it to 70 degrees C (can't remember where I got that figure from).
It works like a dream :)
Del
Nice lookin' workshop.
In the bottom pic... that's one HUGE vice  ;)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 05:09:21 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 08:45:42 am »
I found a cheapo 1L deep fat fryer that works a treat for keeping hide glue warm.
I put water in it rather than fat. The glue goes in a glass jar which stands in the wire basket. I used a digital thermometer to spot calibrate it to 70 degrees C (can't remember where I got that figure from).
Del
Nice lookin' workshop.

If you are using hide glue for gluing up wood to wood then 70 degrees C would be fine but that temp will curl sinew.  It has to be no hotter than what you can tolerate with your fingers

Nice bow  rps
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 09:57:03 am »
Del
Nice lookin' workshop.

If you are using hide glue for gluing up wood to wood then 70 degrees C would be fine but that temp will curl sinew.  It has to be no hotter than what you can tolerate with your fingers

Nice bow  rps
Ta' for the heads up.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 10:27:54 am »
Check out GoodWill for crock pots. I bought one for $5 and use it as a double boiler floating a pan of glue in the water. This seems to keep the glue just the right temp. Also, keep a pan of warm water and a damp towel handy to keep your hands glue free while working with the glue and sinew.
 Just before adding the sinew I wash it with Dawn Dish soap and warm water and scrub the bows back with Dawn and rinse with boiling water. Since I started doing this I haven't had any problems with the sinew/glue application and durability. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 09:46:20 pm »
Yes Sir...

Looking Good.
I'll be watching.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline rps3

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 09:52:28 pm »
Thanks guys, it is good to hear all the differnet methods used to warm the glue. I will be making a trip to goodwill for sure in a couple days.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 08:49:02 am »
I bought a single temp mini crock pot at a Dollar Store for $8-10 when I did my first hide glue/sinew job. It never gets to hot and warms up fast. I have no clue what the temp is, but it works flawlessly and I have nothing to worry about, makes it nice and relaxing knowing Im not too hot, too cool, too thick, too thin.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.