Author Topic: Arrow tapering jigs???(arrow pics)  (Read 12676 times)

Offline okie64

Arrow tapering jigs???(arrow pics)
« on: April 11, 2014, 08:48:42 am »
Just curious as to what and how some of you guys are tapering your arrows. Ive been using a small block plane to taper the nock end of my arrows and then sanding them smooth. I usually go a few passes over the back 6 inches and then a few passes over the back 9 inches and then a few over the back 12 inches. I thought I remembered someone posting a picture of a jig they had set up for this reason but I couldnt find it in the search.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 05:46:12 pm by okie64 »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arrow tapering jigs???
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 09:41:00 am »
Here is the jig I made for tapering the rear 9" of arrows. I usually taper from 11/32" to 5/16".

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 12:47:00 pm »
I use my drill and some sand paper. I put the shaft in the drill, and hold the sandpaper in my hand. Then I sand it to the shape I want. It works fast and seems to do a good enough job.

I try to have one arrow that shoots really well and copy the weight, foc, and spine if i can although spine is usually close if weight, shape and foc are the same.

This is what I do with shoot shafts. If I have dowels, which I haven't in years, I just leave them parallel.

Patrick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 01:37:19 pm »
I chuck the dowel shaft in an electric drill and slowly work it back and forth until it hits the stop. done this wih poplar and ash shafting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline okie64

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 04:27:21 pm »
Thanks for the input fellas. Im pretty sure thats the jig I remember seeing a pic of on here before. Ive been using poplar shafting for the last couple of years and Im lovin it, it is surprisingly tough and very easy to work with.  Never tried ash but I would think it would make some great arrows too.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 04:36:22 pm »
Ash does make good arrows but I have to keep straightening them. Poplar is the bomb.  ;)

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 06:23:38 pm »
Poplar is great arrow wood...But Have You Tried Ramin???  You will never use another wood again!!!!

I also use a small block plane and sand paper..Have made in excess of 400 arrows so far this year by this method...And yes...My hands are killing Me!!!!!  But it works well.

I like the Jig Pat...Looks more efficient than My method.
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline okie64

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 09:26:43 pm »
No havent tried ramin yet but ive heard it was good stuff. I like hickory a lot too for the toughness but they usually turn out a bit heavy for my liking.  Apparently the word is out on poplar making great arrows. I used to be able to sort through the bin at lowes and find a couple dozen good straight grained shafts but the last few times ive gone looking for them its pretty slim pickins.

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 11:47:19 pm »
Used to use Poplar alot also. Made some Ramin arrows and now only use Poplar on a limited basis. Ramin is light, Strong, and spines decent...And it is not on many peoples radar for arrows so is readily available. Have a load coming in next month. May post some for trade..
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline wazabodark

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 02:35:00 am »
i made one very similar Pat's, but it's fully adjustable to taper the entire length of the arrow. I was having trouble getting arrows to spine properly for my 30# recurve by just barrel tapering and sanding, so I tapered the whole shaft from 5/16 at the nock to 11/32 at the point. Came up with four spruce shafts that shoot dead center at 15 yards when bare shafting. still haven't fletched them though, so maybe it isn't such a great idea. I should probably add that this will be my first complete set of arrows, so I'm hardly an expert. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 11:29:02 am »
I have one about like Pat's,it tappers 6 inches nominally, I have found if you tapper the 6 inches it won't change the spine at all but for every inch more it will change a small amount,so If I have a stiff shaft I can tapper a little more and check,I keep doing this until I get the all right where i want them.  :) i don't do a lot of them but the ones I have done do seem to fly really good by being tappered.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline okie64

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 11:49:20 pm »
Thanks for the info fellas. I now have a jig made up about like Pats and have been playing around with some shafts using different taper rates to see what kind of flight I get. I tapered a few 3/8 shafts from 11/32 at the nock out to 12" and it changed the spine about 5lbs. Im having a lotta fun playin around with these arras at the moment. :)

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 12:32:13 pm »
Playing with arrows is all ways fun
Keep it up
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 04:58:59 pm »
I really appreciate you showing everybody your tapering jig Pat B.  I'm building one soon. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 05:05:35 pm »
I think I made it from one piece of 1x6 red oak board fro Lowe's.  The sand paper is from a 120 grit sanding belt and attached with double sided carpet tape from ACE Hardware.