Author Topic: Keeping Warm  (Read 3053 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Keeping Warm
« on: April 09, 2014, 12:23:55 pm »
After several years away I moved back to my old house in the country last Summer.  Because of the renos I didn't have time to cut any firewood, heat with wood here, so we had to buy our Winters supply.  We have 300 acres so access to firewood is not a problem and that is what I was doing over the Winter months, I used my old Ski Doo and a double bunk sleigh.  Most of what I cut was Red Maple with some White Birch, Black Ash and a bit of Poplar.  Here's some pictures of what I cut.

The rows in the second pic are 2 deep while the ones in the last pic are 3 deep.  All are about 6' high.  We should have at least 2 years supply.

Then there was the shop firewood.  Don't need as much for the shop but still need about 1 1/2 bush cords.  Much of what I cut for the shop came from the tops of the trees.

Of course I had to take advantage of the trials and get some bow wood

The 2 logs on the left are Rock Maple and the 2 on the right are Elm.  Both trees were about 8" in diameter and the logs are at least 6' long.

The Deer really appreciated the buds from the Maple and Birch, they were not fussy about the Ash, and cleaned up the branches.  I made sure to cut the hanging branches down so they would have access to them.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Keeping Warm
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 12:27:10 pm »
youve definitely been busy

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 12:40:25 pm »
Yes Sir you've been busy. Nice lot of wood you cut there. Way to get prepared early for next year. I need to do the same.  dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 07:17:34 am »
Nice pile of wood,if you are like I was when I heated with wood,that ant near enough yet and with the winters yall have I feel sure it will take much more for you than for me.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 08:42:09 am »
Nice pile of wood,if you are like I was when I heated with wood,that ant near enough yet and with the winters yall have I feel sure it will take much more for you than for me.
   Pappy

It's more than enough Mark.  There's about 30 trees of wood in the stacked piles or about 10 bush cords.    We heat with one of the new high efficiency wood stoves and have gone through just under 4 cords so far this year.  There's still a couple more trees coming down around the house that were seriously damaged in a micro burst we had last Summer.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 10:08:13 am »
That's a fine lot of fire wood.  Should be good to go next winter!  Almost enough to put Burn um up Chuck in a frenzy to use it up.  I am down to my last layer in the wood shed which hasn't happened in 10 years!  Its still below freezing each morning here so still using the wood!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 11:00:19 am »
Marc, how does the poplar burn. We heat strictly with wood and I prefer red oak but use white oak, locust(sparingly), maple(hard and red), sourwood, some birch but I have not tried poplar. We have lots of it here though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 11:53:36 am »
We have a lot of poplar too. It works great to get the real btu wood going.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 12:17:49 pm »
Poplar is good but burns quite a bit faster than dense wood and doesn't make a lot of coals.  This is good during the day or on warm days, at night it's strictly Maple though.  I find this new stove builds up coals a bit too fast so a wood that doesn't produce a lot of coals is a good thing especially in the morning when the stove is full of coals from the nights burn.  I don't cut a lot of it but like to have some on hand.

We are still getting below freezing temps at night up here as well Joe.  The days are decent though.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 01:49:42 pm »
We were below freezing last night but those temps are happening less and less. Our days are getting to the upper 60s and low 70s.
 I think I'll cut a poplar an try it next fall. It would be good for mornings and cold rainy days. Red oak for the long cold nights.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jesse

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 02:02:03 pm »
When I heated with wood I did the same. Popple on the warm days oak for the rest. Looks like you have been busy.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 02:06:35 pm »
Now how did I know there would be some bow wood too? ::) :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 03:41:41 pm »
I hear in the old days of wood fired kitchen stoves that sassafras was a summer time favorite because it turned to ash rather than coals and didn't keep the kitchen hot all day.  And it loves to burn, another gooder to get them oak logs going. dp

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 04:30:53 pm »
Up here they cautioned against burning Tamarack because it was said to melt stoves.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 11:30:51 pm »
Locust will do the same thing down here, Marc. I don't mind a little locust but I don't like to burn too much.