Author Topic: Questions on seasoning osage staves  (Read 3688 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Questions on seasoning osage staves
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 08:30:14 am »
Yep, leaving the sap wood is no bueno in my book.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Online Hamish

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 08:49:23 pm »
I have had no trouble with sapwood left on  provided the quarters weren't from a large dia log, and left that way. I always split into staves/billets, piggy back splits,  to minimize tangential shrinkage when drying, rather than leave oversized quarters. I also prefer PVA rather than shellac, as its thicker yet has  more flexibility.
 The problem you potentially have is that you have quite a few staves and that is a lot of work, unless you leave the bark on and hope for the best regarding bug attacks. Never tried the diesel on bark, hope it works good. It can be daunting to do a lot of staves in one hit if you haven't done it before. The more experienced you become the quicker you get. Admittedly I usually end up taking all the sapwood off eventually if there are good heartwood rings below. I only really leave the sapwood on because it gives me a bit more time without having to worry about bugs starting holes, before taking them down to the final growth ring, if I don't have the time right there and then.
 A lot of successful seasoning comes down to the climate of where you live, and how you store the wood.
A friend of mine lives about 50miles away, but is at a much higher altitude. He has no trouble drying timber without checking, pretty much seals the endgrain and leaves in large sections. It is significantly hotter in summer where I live, 10-15 deg Celcius  and doing the same thing without extra precautions of breaking the timber down into smaller thicknesses results in heavy checking for me.
     You will do fine.
                                 Hamish.

Offline lukelawrence171

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 04:19:18 pm »
Thanks like I said I will try some different things because I would like to try some different bows but I think I will be ok leaving the sapwood on if I keep it in the shed I don't even seal all of my staves and I had never had one crack so I think I will be ok if not I'll only do It once :-\.

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 09:58:02 pm »
Luke, If you take off the bark to the sapwood and don't seal the back you will be sorry. The sapwood will check in a heartbeat if not sealed while it is drying out.