Author Topic: OLD Osage Tree (Finished billets)  (Read 4935 times)

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: OLD Osage Tree
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 11:06:54 am »
Damn Pearly,droppin some knowledge.  Thanks for the science

Max tick rings are not a bad thing.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 11:10:20 am »
I just Googled it Matt. Copy and Paste can make ANYBODY look smart! 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 11:15:07 am »
Very true man.  Still god info.  There is a lot of stuff written about the moon and the water in our bodies and the effects,  like the tides.  Pretty interesting.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 11:23:02 am »
When somebody starts talking like that
It remind's  me of the movie  REAL GENIUS with Val Kilmer

"It is possible to synthesize excited bromide in an argon matrix"
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 07:34:36 pm »
The big log is still out there
This is the billet log they are 49" long
They where hard to split in half because the center is rotting , they split to the middle, and I am having a hard time turning them over to split from the other side. I got about 20 hours in it already .
I'am going to bring these to TN. Classic ??

This one looks Reflexed ,        and deflexed ?

I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 09:42:04 am »
In the first photo... Counting from lower left to top right there are 14 annal rings showing.
Wheather there is such a thing a lunar rings or not I don't know.
The rings in the lower left have the best Early Wood/ Late Wood ratio.

But even poor quality Osage is still better that anything else.
Yew can count on that. ;)

Lots of Osage there. A bow can be found in there somewhere for sure.

David

David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline PatM

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 12:18:08 pm »
I'm surprised a botanist would interpret lunar rings as being due to  the light of the moon and analysing things from that perspective.
 I think the implication is that the moon causes an increase of water content and potential enhanced growth due to nutrient flow. Many believe that the moon pulls water up in a similar fashion to it causing the tides.
 That means something more like there is a mini "Spring" season within each growing month not that the tree is actually photosynthesizing at night.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 10:14:18 pm »
I counted the rings today on the stump (picture with the ladder)  95/100 years old
What is strange is the stump is 24" Right to left, but the center of the tree is 4" from the right side
The tree grew all on the west side of the tree (Left)

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 10:44:01 pm »
We put this question to Howard Griffiths, at the department of Plant Sciences, Cambridge University.

When I was first thrown this question about the role of moonlight in photosynthesis my initial response was not a chance! Because the light intensity that we get reflected off the moon is an order of 100-1000 times too little to support photosynthesis in most terrestrial pot plants and plants we have in our garden. However, I did a little bit of digging around and I looked at some latest analysis of photosynthesis rates in algae. Amazingly enough it does seem that some groups of very small phytoplankton might be able to photosynthesise using the light from the moon provided that it was in the tropics and provided that at wasn’t being attenuated by a water column which tends to absorb light exponentially. So the answer is still probably no because, obviously phytoplankton grow in a water column so they’re not really likely to be able to pick up the light intensity.

However, it also opens up a number of intriguing questions because plants do certainly try to avoid the light from the moon. I’m sure many of you are familiar with the folding of leaves that we see in the clover growing in your lawns and lots of plants in the garden fold up their leaves at night. Darwin was interested in this and thought that it was to do with the leaves trying to maintain their heat balance at night. What we think is happening now is that the leaves are trying to avoid moonlight so as to prevent their circadian rhythms being disrupted by those very light intensities because they certainly do respond to moonlight. In fact, it’s now known that lots of animals – animals as diverse as snakes and crocodiles and a whole array of plants and different systems including humans – are highly sensitive to moonlight and the way that it can interrupt our circadian control and our sensing of day length.

I'm going to start calling you "DR" Pearl
From
"Bassmaster Bill'
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Mad Max

Re: OLD Osage Tree (Finished billets)
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 10:22:49 am »
I got a lot of scrap but here they are, Ready for the TN. Classic

There all Billets

about 75% scrap

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2014, 10:31:31 am »
Nice haul!   And nice fire pit. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2014, 04:05:21 pm »
Outlaw
Looking forward to meeting you and all the other guys next week end. :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 06:44:16 pm »
Same to you sir.  See you in a few days
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left