Author Topic: OLD Osage Tree (Finished billets)  (Read 4934 times)

Offline Mad Max

OLD Osage Tree (Finished billets)
« on: April 05, 2014, 02:41:53 pm »
Let this post stay here for a little while PLEASEEEEEEEEE
This osage has been dead for 15 years
The early and late rings look like they are mixed together
I can't figure out the rings, it looks like about every 10 years it had good rain
The rings by the pencil are about 3/8" wide and there is about 8 to 15 rings in between
Can this tree be 400 or 500 years old???

This is the little section just to the right of the 6th step on the ladder

There is 4 trees in the same hole and barb wire running threw it

If it is 8 to 15 rings between you tell me how old

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:06:26 am by Mad Max »
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: OLD Osage Tree
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 03:04:27 pm »
I think those narrow rings are what some people call moon rings. They  happened  within each of the annual  growth rings.

Looks like the tree had good summer growth for a long time.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 03:14:57 pm »
If that's true the growth rings are 1/4 to 1/2"
Tell me more about moon rings?
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 03:31:22 pm »
Well, they have nothing to do with the moon, but they just show variations in the growth that can be caused by varying water supply, or temperature. The good thing is, you don't have to chase a "moon" ring!

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 05:00:27 pm »
The lunar rings are part of the annual ring growth I think. A cycle within a cycle.  ???   They are in all annual rings but are more obvious in thicker rings and in woods like osage, locust, mulberry, etc.. It is the annual rings that we as bowyers are more concerned with. Getting a good, blemish free annual ring for the back of your bow will aid in your success.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ohma2

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 05:25:50 pm »
So what did you get out of it ?was there a good log ? Might be able to get some billets there to , use all you can that old tree deserves to live on in some bows.

Osage Mark

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 05:32:49 pm »
So what did you get out of it ?was there a good log ? Might be able to get some billets there to , use all you can that old tree deserves to live on in some bows.
I am on my buddy,S  I PAD
ALL I DID WAS CUT AND SEAL THAT ONE CUT SO FAR, I AM GOING TO GET SOME STAVES OUT OF IT

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 05:47:56 pm »
I counted the growth rings the best as I could and it looks like your trees is between 65 and 70 years old.

Osage Mark

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 08:47:53 pm »
it's old
i am going to try to get some staves out of it and some billets
I did not know the rings could get that big on osage

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 03:18:31 am »
Well, they have nothing to do with the moon, but they just show variations in the growth that can be caused by varying water supply, or temperature. The good thing is, you don't have to chase a "moon" ring!

Jim

I wouldn't be so sure that the moon rings have nothing to do with the moon.  Look at the periodicity of these rings, looks very evenly spaced and very reliably 7 - 9 rings within each annual growth rings, which is about the number of months in the growing season. 

Nice osage find.  Looks like good wood. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 08:44:00 am »
Those are nice thick growth rings on that tree.  Osage trees can sure have a lot of character.   I hope you can get some good staves out of it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 08:54:07 am »
We put this question to Howard Griffiths, at the department of Plant Sciences, Cambridge University.

When I was first thrown this question about the role of moonlight in photosynthesis my initial response was not a chance! Because the light intensity that we get reflected off the moon is an order of 100-1000 times too little to support photosynthesis in most terrestrial pot plants and plants we have in our garden. However, I did a little bit of digging around and I looked at some latest analysis of photosynthesis rates in algae. Amazingly enough it does seem that some groups of very small phytoplankton might be able to photosynthesise using the light from the moon provided that it was in the tropics and provided that at wasn’t being attenuated by a water column which tends to absorb light exponentially. So the answer is still probably no because, obviously phytoplankton grow in a water column so they’re not really likely to be able to pick up the light intensity.

However, it also opens up a number of intriguing questions because plants do certainly try to avoid the light from the moon. I’m sure many of you are familiar with the folding of leaves that we see in the clover growing in your lawns and lots of plants in the garden fold up their leaves at night. Darwin was interested in this and thought that it was to do with the leaves trying to maintain their heat balance at night. What we think is happening now is that the leaves are trying to avoid moonlight so as to prevent their circadian rhythms being disrupted by those very light intensities because they certainly do respond to moonlight. In fact, it’s now known that lots of animals – animals as diverse as snakes and crocodiles and a whole array of plants and different systems including humans – are highly sensitive to moonlight and the way that it can interrupt our circadian control and our sensing of day length.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 09:43:04 am »
Pearl
when you look at the back of a osage BOW you can see the grain ( 2 different colors)
That is what  i am seeing between these growth rings ( the different colors)

These rings being that thick,  is that a good thing??
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 09:49:05 am by Mad Max »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 09:58:42 am »
Thick rings like that are good.  Some people like thinner rings.  The ratio of early/late wood is more important.  The ratio on your rings looks great to me.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 10:20:17 am »
Thick thin, it's all good.  I agree with Clint, early wood ratio is more important to me personally.  If I could put in an order for a stave type it would be an order for tight rings with an almost invisible early wood ring and absolutely no early wood showing as lunar rings.  Add a bit of a crown and finish it off with a dark reddish color.  I'm still looking for that stave.  In the mean time I'll adjust my design to the staves I have.  Thick, thin, straight, crooked, dark, light.  What you have will make some fine bows I think.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.