Author Topic: New member, first post, some pics and questions  (Read 1526 times)

Offline RedBear1313

New member, first post, some pics and questions
« on: April 16, 2014, 02:45:29 pm »
Hey guys, new member to the forum and new to handcrafting my own bows, but I wanted to share a few of my pics and ask a question about one of the staves I have started working on.

The first 2 pics are of 2 trees that I found and harvested. The first one was a shorter tree and I got 3 nice staves along with several thin ones I think I'll use for other stuff, or possibly some small child's bows.  Both of these trees are MO osage, cut one in jan/feb and the other in april just a couple weeks ago.

Are there any woods you don't want to use for arrows? from both of these trees I got quite a bit of scrap material that would make some nice arrows or foreshafts.
Would osage be a good fit for these?  I know that's not the traditional wood used but it's what I have and I don't want to waste it.

and if you look at the 3rd pic, this is a stave I worked down to one ring and then rubbed with oil/grease and coated with polyurethane.
if you look closely in the area circled, you will see a few slivers of the early growth underneath begginning to show through where I was scraping the late growth above. The are ever so small, just slivers.

Is this top ring violated and should I go down one more ring?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:53:07 pm by RedBear1313 »
Hold on to what you can't remember, make sense of what you can't decipher.

Offline RedBear1313

Re: New member, first post, some pics and questions
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 02:55:05 pm »
And the 3rd last pic I am asking of the ring violation, FYI, is the stave in the second photo, 2nd one from left next to the one wrapped in packing paper.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 02:57:11 pm »
welcome. looks like you got some good staves and no you didnt violate a ring. atlease not that i can see.

Offline RedBear1313

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 03:00:47 pm »
well if you look closely you can some slivers of the early growth showing through the late growth.   very very slight slivers.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 03:31:58 pm »
If you are seeing he early wood from under the top ring I would go down one more ring. How thick are the rings? will you post pics of the rings for us to look at?
 Welcome to PA.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline zenart

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 12:06:12 am »
Nice stash of Osage! Welcome. I've never seen an osage arrow shaft.. doesn't mean they don't exist though. Others will chime in I'm sure.
Huntington Beach, CA … there's no trees here but we do have lumber yards.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 12:54:28 am »
Osage will make a very heavy arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RedBear1313

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 01:36:00 am »
the rings are fairly thin.

I'll have to take a pic later but the ring on top is one of the thicker ones.