Author Topic: fish skin backing  (Read 3816 times)

Eric Kol

fish skin backing
« on: December 28, 2007, 01:24:30 pm »
Hey guys,
i have started to tiller bow number two (and have two ERC staves roughed out) a crappy box elder stave. It is much cleaner than the buckthorn I destriyed earlier this week. I am for sure going to want to back this, as I see it developing plenty of string follow. I now have access to plenty of sinew for backing....but want to look into some other fish backings. I was just reading the thread on alternative backings. I have seen drop dead gorgeous grass carp and sturgeon that was pretty cool.
What other fish skins are regularly employed? I am an avid river fisherman, and carp fisherman. I suppose I have access to what ever skin I can catch, as long as it is long enough.
I have Freshwater Drum skins curing right now, and when I catch a 35+" carp this spring I'll harvest the skins.
Any other favorites?
What's the trick to working with fish skins and what are its strengths and limitations? thanks, Eric

duffontap

Re: fish skin backing
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 05:09:45 pm »
One 'trick' is to get the grease out of the skin so the glue holds well. 

As far as species goes, any fish you can get skins off of will serve to decorate a bow but bottom fish like carp and sturgeon have thick skins that actually protect the back from breakage to some degree. 

Pioneer a species!  Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. 

J. D. Duff

brian melton

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 01:32:35 pm »

Never have took the time to do it, but chum salmon (dog) with their black, and green barring would look real nice, and their skin is very tough......

Brian

Offline FVR

• http://www.angelfire.com/ga/alionatemysister/
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 10:46:20 pm »
I've backed a few with northern pike skins.  They turned out just fine, did not have a problem with oil in the skin as they were urine tanned.  Yeh, yuk, but it takes the oil out.  Washed the skins with dish detergeant and let dry thoroughly prior to placing and gluing.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 05:39:38 am by DanaM »
Can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim.
Mountain got it....