Author Topic: new Ocean Spray bow  (Read 5700 times)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
new Ocean Spray bow
« on: April 03, 2014, 05:59:09 pm »
K well i finished up another OS bow during spring break. I'm happy with the way it shoots and the way it looks, just needs a few more coats of Tung Oil. Tried to go stumping with it up at my cabin but a few of the stumps were harder than they looked and 2 of my arrows got damaged, (repairable) so i stopped. Luckily OS makes tough arrows too.  ;)
56" ntn
75# @ 23"
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Zion

Re: new Ocean Spray bow
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 06:00:28 pm »
More pics

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 06:07:21 pm »
Nice.  You certainly seem to like the heavy weights
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 06:14:05 pm »
The good news; looks like  a good tiller job there young man.
The bad news (maybe). I'm not familiar with ocean spray. But those deep cracks look a little ominous to me. Looks like that one runs off the side of the limb.
Calling all ocean spray gurus!

Offline Zion

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 06:41:08 pm »
Thanks Marc, yeah i can shoot them well enough so i guess i might as well make em like that lol.
Thanks Bogaman. Well since you're not familiar with OS i'll just say it's probably one of the toughest woods you'll ever use. On any other wood the cracks would make me nervous but i've never had an OS bow break without good reason so i let em be.

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 07:02:42 pm »
Ya your tillering looks good as usuall.  Why ya ending up with those nasty cracks..?   I have dried some OS and only got cracks on stuff I hurried.  Just my 2 cents.   
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 07:05:18 pm »
Zion, I sure wasn't trying to be critical. With a bow of that poundage It concerned me when I saw the belly cracks. I posted that as a concern for your safety.  I did a search on the wood after posting on this, and it appears this is a very tough wood. One article I read said that native people made nails from ocean spray.
The morale of this story is 'you can teach an old dog new tricks'. I've been making bows for over 20 years and still have a lot to learn, apparently.

Offline Zion

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 07:26:23 pm »
No offense taken Bogaman, i appreciate your guys' advice. Honestly most of the cracking occurs when i heat treat the bow at around floor tiller stage. Before heat treating, this bow didn't have any checks. So i guess i should heat it slower?

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 07:32:46 pm »
No offense taken Bogaman, i appreciate your guys' advice. Honestly most of the cracking occurs when i heat treat the bow at around floor tiller stage. Before heat treating, this bow didn't have any checks. So i guess i should heat it slower?

You mentioned you heat treated, shouild of known, do have to heat treat OS..?  Do you have any close ups of your OS arroooowwwwws.   :D  I keep saying to myself that I'll get out and cut some OS oh well now its raining don't have the initiative to get wet, but next week will be sunny.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 08:23:48 am »

The wood is telling you it still has too much moisture in it...get the moisture content down further and you won't have this problem...you'll also take less set and prob have a healthier snappy bow...good bend, and  I enjoy seeing your enthusiasm about archery at your age ;)

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 10:08:19 am »
Looks like a primitive and deadly, I like it!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 10:35:21 am »
Nice work on yet another Zion.  The weight you get out of your bows is astonishing. Great job

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 10:50:22 am »
Nice bend,way to heavy for me but as you said build what you like,I would BHawk is right about the moisture and checks. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dwardo

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 11:45:20 am »
Just ruined a nice set of yew billets doing the same, heat with moisture content still too high :( I usually get away with it but lesson learnt.

Cool bow by the way. Always learning my self but that's a pretty short draw and high weight. I would imagine a lower weight and longer draw with less follow would give your arrows a little more punch?

Either way always like that primitive yet finished look you create.

Offline Zion

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 01:19:06 pm »
Thanks for the kind words and advice everyone, like anything there's always so much to learn.
Bow101 i just heat treat for extra ensurance, + it seems to make OS even tougher to boot. I highly doubt it's necessary though.
Thanks blackhawk, still learning about seasoning this wood. Seems like every time i end up a little short on the drying time.
Thanks Carson
Thanks Matt
Thanks Pappy
Thanks Dwardo. You could be right about the draw and stuff, i've had trouble with getting consistent shooting out of longer anchor points though. In any case i am genetically blessed with shortass arms so i doubt my draw length will go much over 25"  :-[ thanks again guys