Author Topic: Tip Overlay???  (Read 5544 times)

Offline Wooden Spring

Tip Overlay???
« on: April 03, 2014, 09:32:27 am »
This is my first tip overlay, so I want to make sure I'm doing this right...  I still kept the width at 3/4" from the tip to be 1/2" wide so that I could still make pin nocks. Right now, I'm doing one new thing at a time, and I wanted to get the overlays right first before I started making pencil thin tips.

Any thoughts? Will this work?
Oh, this is purpleheart bow 2.0 for my wife. I'll be tillering it tonight - it's 62" tip to tip for her 25" draw. I'm shooting for around 20# at 25", so the bow is 1" wide at the fades, tapering to 1/2" at the nocks. Right now, it's starting at 3/8" consistent thickness. It's got a 1/8" hickory backing...
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline Onebowonder

Re: Tip Overlay???
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 10:19:07 am »
I normally use Temp nocks until the tillering is done, ...but those look serviceable.  They are a bit heavy duty for a #20 pound draw weight bow.  You could likely get by with makeing them a good bit more gracile.  ...but again, you might wait till you make the weight you want tillering to start tuning that sort of thing.

OneBow

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 10:41:07 am »
Those tip overlays are totally fine. A bit overbuilt for that bow, but structurally fine.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 10:46:03 am »
The roughed out tips were 5/8" thick at the tips, tapering to the 3/8" thickness of the limb at 3" from the tip. Smoothing and shaping reduced that a little bit...

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 10:52:22 am »
On a bow of 25#, I would try and make the tips teeny tiney. Remember, it's thickness that gives wood strength, not width.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 11:38:05 am »
On a bow of 25#, I would try and make the tips teeny tiney. Remember, it's thickness that gives wood strength, not width.

I know, I found that out on the one previous to this bow. I finally arrived at the thickness I needed the bow to be, so on this one I decided to try my hand at tip overlays. On bow #3, I'm going to take it from 1" at the fades to 1/4" at the tips, then apply tip overlays.

Here's the problem...  Pin nocks are the only nocks I've ever made. I don't have a clue how to make anything else, and I can't use pin nocks with 1/4" wide tips...  I can smell another broken tip in my future. Oh, well, chalk it up to learning!

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 12:07:44 pm »
Just put your tip overlay on, shape it a bit, and then cut a string groove square to the centerline of the bow about 1/8" wide and 1/8" deep, 1" from the end. Make sure you don't cut through your overlay. Make a sandpaper rope about the thickness of a string, and smooth out the groove. You don't even need to cut side grooves until the end. Make sure the groove you cut is deep enough that the string doesn't pop out of the groove while tillering.

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 01:55:04 pm »
Just put your tip overlay on, shape it a bit, and then cut a string groove square to the centerline of the bow about 1/8" wide and 1/8" deep, 1" from the end. Make sure you don't cut through your overlay. Make a sandpaper rope about the thickness of a string, and smooth out the groove. You don't even need to cut side grooves until the end. Make sure the groove you cut is deep enough that the string doesn't pop out of the groove while tillering.

Do you even need side grooves if the tip overlay has been cut on the top? Especially if the tip is just 1/4" wide at the nock?

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 03:09:57 pm »
no you don't
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 04:21:53 pm »
I see....    OK, the wheels are turning ALREADY for my next bow, and I haven't even finished THIS one yet....
Does anyone else feel like bowmaking is like potato chips? YOU CAN'T HAVE JUST ONE!!!!!!

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 05:19:23 pm »
<snip>Does anyone else feel like bowmaking is like potato chips? YOU CAN'T HAVE JUST ONE!!!!!!

Such is the nature of ADDICTION!!! >:D :o ;D

OneBow

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 06:35:40 pm »
here's an example of how you can lighten up those tips and end up with a sleek looking tip

Offline bow101

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 07:35:33 pm »
Nice work Bub   8) the contrast with the maple just pops.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 07:38:35 pm »
thanks

Offline Weylin

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 09:06:03 pm »
Here is a bow with pin nocks and tip over lays. I got them pretty small and sleek. They probably could have gone even a little smaller.