Author Topic: Making my first osage bow  (Read 2530 times)

Offline TheDukesArchers

Making my first osage bow
« on: March 31, 2014, 08:30:13 pm »
So I've been able t source a really nice piece of Osage board at 60 inches long. I want to back this bow for added insurance and protection, though hopefully I'll be making future bows without any backing. My main question is whether I should use bamboo or rawhide? Bamboo is more much expensive than rawhide, but I hear it gives a really good bow. Is it worth the extra cost. Also do I need to follow the grain of the board, even though I'm using a backing?

Offline TheDukesArchers

Re: Making my first osage bow
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 09:17:55 pm »
Anyone? Btw the Traditonal Bowyers Bible is in the post.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 09:26:24 pm »
Either will work although the boo will require more prep work.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 10:08:50 pm »
If you have one ring from tip to tip on the back, there is no need and no advantage to backing it. What design and weight to you have in mind?

Jim  Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 10:23:12 pm »
Well it comes as a board so I'm not sure it will come as a single chased growth ring. I'm buying it from Magen a Fairbow.
I fancy a flatbow design., though if I back it I don't have to follow the grain? Even if it is a single growth ring a rawhide backing will give that little bit of extra protection.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 10:43:21 pm »
I really like this design. http://outdoors.lcparks.com/bamboo.html

As I doubt the grain will be perfect as the board is meant to be used as a belly wood, i'm will need to back it. On the plus side I wont need to follow the grain of the osage.

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 10:50:16 pm »
Maple, hickory, ash, bamboo, rawhide... all good backings for an osage board.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 11:00:05 pm »
I've heard bamboo makes the better bow? I also plan on buying a ready planed strip for my first bow. However, does bamboo not split and splinter really easily? I'm worried that when I've glued up the stave the bamboo may split when cutting out the basic dimensions.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 11:22:28 pm »
My take...I like your enthusiasm but, based on the questions you've asked I'm guessing you haven't much experience.  That being the case a bamboo backed bow is, in my opinion to advanced.  Get a good straight board, or better yet get a good straight stave.  Either way you choose, build a good solid self bow.  Doing either will teach you the basics of this craft.  Back it if you are so compelled with rawhide as it is a fairly easy process, but a backing of any kind wont fix a poorly made bow, and a well made bow wont need a backing.  Tackle the boo backed Osage down the road a piece.  Just my thoughts. 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 11:37:23 pm »
The grain of your board is the deciding factor on whether you go with a soft backing like rawhide or a hard backing like bamboo.  I have zero experience with hard backing, but I can tell you that rawhide has its limitations on what it will hold together.  I have only seen a couple dozen Osage boards and precisely NONE of them were straight grained enough for rawhide to keep together.  But like I said, grain is the important thing to consider.  You can't really plan anything until you know what the grain is like.  Josh

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 07:02:02 am »
+1's for gun doc n slimbob....you won't know what it needs until you get the board,and we can't tell you what it needs until we see some pics of this board...as said rawhide might not be enough...in any event id back it with boo,hickory,hard maple,or white oak which are well suited to back osage and are usually common lumber found....but I'd make some more simple bows if ya haven't made any or only a couple yet,and learn how to tiller...learn to walk before ya run kinda thing

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 11:43:20 am »
I've decided to back it with hickory to be on the safe side; I've found a really nice strip with perfect grain. The traditional bowyers bible is in the posts, plus I have a good dvd on making a laminated bow.

Online JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 04:01:41 pm »
Hicksage will be a very pretty combination even if you don't stain the hickory.  It will stay pale and the osage will just continue to darken in the sunlight until it is the color of old dried blood.  Good luck and post pics of your progress!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 08:30:53 pm »
My take...I like your enthusiasm but, based on the questions you've asked I'm guessing you haven't much experience.  That being the case a bamboo backed bow is, in my opinion to advanced.  Get a good straight board, or better yet get a good straight stave.  Either way you choose, build a good solid self bow.  Doing either will teach you the basics of this craft.  Back it if you are so compelled with rawhide as it is a fairly easy process, but a backing of any kind wont fix a poorly made bow, and a well made bow wont need a backing.  Tackle the boo backed Osage down the road a piece.  Just my thoughts. 
Times two what Slimbob said! He hit the nail on the head!

You are getting ahead of yourself. With the questions you've asked the past few days, you are by no means ready to make a laminated bow. Please do yourself a favor and wait for that Trad. Bowyer's Bible to arrive in the mailbox. Read it from beginning to end and only THEN consider what woods you want to buy. It is really not smart to start gathering materials before you've read this book.
I actually know Magen and Fairbow and I've seen some of their backed osage bows. I'm not a big fan of Fairbow's techniques, methods and reasonings, but I must say their raw materials are generally of high quality. If you decide to buy a board of osage from him (which I would really not do at this point in your bowyery career if I were you), you are guaranteed to have a decently grained osage board of sufficient quality to yield a bow. However, it is NOT a project for a beginner. 60" is also rather short. A hard backing like bamboo would have my preference. Hickory is OK as well, but bamboo superior. But I say again that you should not buy materials until yuo've read that book. Or better yet: build at least one decent selfbow. A simple boardbow will be challenging enough for your first! You'll have more chance of success with a 72" oak/ash/maple board, then with a 60" hickory backed osage.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286