Author Topic: Newbie needs some help with tiller, please updated!  (Read 2959 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Newbie needs some help with tiller, please updated!
« on: April 01, 2014, 10:32:28 pm »
I need a little help with tiller. The bow is a red oak board, in a flat bow design. I put about 1 inch of reflex in the last 15" of the tips. It has a fiberglass cloth backing (I got it from work, they use it on the blades of a Blackhawk helicopter).  It is 72" tip to tip and 70"from nock to nock. Weight im shooting for is 40lbs at 25". But I'm tillering it to 28". I'm making this as a gift to a guy I work with. He draws 25" but his son draws 28" the last bow he had his son picked it up and broke it. I can currently draw it to 25"at about 45lbs and all the way out to 28" and it's still springy so I could probably go farther.

My question is in the picture, the bottom limb is the one on the right. Do you guys think the outer third or so is not bending enough? When it is braced I measured both sides and the bottom limb is about 3/16th stiffer from the limb to the string at 15"from the nock.  What do you think any and all suggestions would be great. Thanks, Patrick. 

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 09:57:02 pm by lebhuntfish »
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Newbie needs some help with tiller, please
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 11:09:09 pm »
Run a straight edge along the limbs and see what it says.  I would say yes, to my eye it could bend a little less near the handle so more from mid limb out, but check that with a straight edge and you can make the call.   Looks pretty good.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 11:25:27 pm »
Thanks SLIMBOB, I'll do that tomorrow. I had it on a tiller tree and it looked pretty good but I didn't see that odd spot until I put it on my tiller with a pulley.

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 11:34:42 pm »
I have never used a pulley until just recently.  I can honestly say that as much as I would never have thought so, it makes a lot of difference.  I can see things easily that weren't so readily visible before.  Good luck with it.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 12:05:22 am »
From the picture it looks like your handle is coming off on the right. Or a bad glue line maybe?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 12:24:28 am »
Not bad. I'd just keep taking from the outer thirds until you hit your target DW and stop when u do. 
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 12:43:52 am »
Thanks guys!

Blaflair2, when I glued the handle on it got off ever so slightly crooked, I mean barely. I need to finish cleaning the glue off the edges, the handle is still really rough.  I checked it a few times while I had it bent and it seemed like it was holding well. Nice eye though, I had to look at the pic myself, lol.

PAHunter, sounds good. Do you think the right one is a little more stiff than the left though?

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 12:54:36 am »
Just a hair but you want that some
anyways.  With the length and bend in inner thirds speed will suffer. If you just lighten up the outer limbs you'll be lookin good. But stop when u hit your DW. DW is more important than prefect tiller. :)
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Pago

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 03:13:51 am »
The right limb looks stiff mid limb to me.

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 06:24:19 am »
Don't want to offend,but no Fiberglass in this area,moving to around the camp fire. Left limb looks pretty good,right look a little stiff mide limb.  ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 07:19:34 am »
Sorry about that Pappy, did not realise that about fiberglass cloth. I'll remember that next time. Thanks for the help though. 

Pa, thanks I'll work on that tonight and post the progress. 

Thank you all for the replies. 

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 07:52:53 am »
Doesn't look bad at all. But both midlimbs are a bit too stiff. Especially the right midlimb is really stiff. But it doesn't require a lot of scraping to get it bending some more.
I assume you are working with a short string at full brace height, right?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 01:33:35 pm »
Yes sir DarkSoul, I am working with a full brace. I will work on the mid limb area some more tonight. Thanks! Patrick

Offline lebhuntfish

Re: Newbie needs some help with tiller, please updated!
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 09:56:22 pm »
Well I'm happy with the tiller now, I used my tillering gizmo and I think I got it bending as close to perfect as I can get it. It's drawing 38lbs at 25" and 43lbs at 28" I was shooting for 35 and 40 but I still need to do some finish sanding so I stopped there. I went and shot it and it shoots awesome! There is almost no hand shock.  And surprisingly accurate with out the handle being finished at all, I still have it just like I glued it on.  This is the first bow that I have finish the tiller on and was able to shoot it. Except one I made when I was at scout camp when I was 15. I'm pleased with it so far, now to get the handle done and the tips. Then the finishing!  Here is a picture of it at full draw.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Re: Newbie needs some help with tiller, please updated!
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 09:59:12 pm »
Looks good.  Nice job Sir.