Author Topic: The part you dislike the most!  (Read 6609 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: The part you dislike the most!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 10:57:36 pm »
Bark and sapwood removal on osage  :P   Sanding would be a close second. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bow101

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 11:19:14 pm »
Breaking 'em and sanding.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 11:19:35 pm »
Honestly, I can't think of an aspect that I care for less than the others. I like it all.

Cleaning the shop maybe?
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline DavidV

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 11:30:28 pm »
I like the whole process until the end, sanding is sooo incredibly boring.

I actually like finishing but I usually rush it to get shooting again and my finish never looks top notch.
Springfield, MO

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 11:34:32 pm »
Cutting, splitting and hauling it to the truck.  But even that is worth the effort once you step back and look at what you got out of it.  I like pretty much all the rest of it.  I struggle to finish one completely before I start another, like Badger, but I enjoy the finish work.   
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 11:39:34 pm »
I like it all but my least favorite would be roughing out the bow with my hand axe. No bandsaw not do I want one. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 11:49:08 pm »
Giving the bow away to someone else,  ;D
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Badger

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 12:11:41 am »
  I think the addictive part is the tillering, I love working the bow down by hand usually with a draw knife and as i approach the tillering stage the tension level starts gradually increasing, I call it the pucker factor. Some bows seem to tiller themselves while others seem like every inch is a fight. That seems to be the fun part.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 12:17:09 am »
Ouch DuBois, that looks painful!
Yeah, sorry about pasting my gut all over the place. Not sure if it was wood or just whipped me with string but it sure felt like somebody hit me real hard in the belly with a bow  :o

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 12:37:57 am »
Looking at someones hairy gut with a huge red scrape on it.   HA! Just kidding!  That takes a lot of "guts" to do that.   ;D  You're awesome DuBois!    :laugh:

sanding out the last stubborn tool marks....  especially the fades and tip overlays.  I don't hate it but it's one part that causes me to want to put it down for another day.    I can't stand having tool marks and some are just very hard to get out....

.....another one would be getting within an inch of full draw and hearing a faint tick / cracking noise....oh that causes such a deep rooted sick feeling...  I've broken enough to know to just move on and start another and I've learned to try not to get too attached too soon but it's still tough to hear that noise when you have gotten so close...
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 12:47:44 am »
I find it all rewarding.  The worst is when it goes snap but now a days I even get over that quick.  Other than that taking a large stave down without power tools can be exhausting on my hands.  When working a new stave I spend many nights without feeling in my fingers.  :)
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2014, 01:08:55 am »
Man guys you have come up with pretty good ones. I find myself grinning when I read some of these replies. Because some of what you all dislike are things that I haven't dealt with yet. I can say that same of you have built many bows by the comment you have left. Looks like I have a lot to look forward to.  I am pretty new to the bow world myself. And have found out that being somewhat of a perfectionist is not always a good thing.  ::)

I really like threads like this, it gives you the opportunity to share your troubles and or do a little rant. Patrick.
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline 4dog

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2014, 03:12:13 am »
finishing..which is probably why i like the no frills meat gettin bows..all business..no dresses!!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline bubby

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2014, 03:40:08 am »
4dog pretty girls can hunt too
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

blackhawk

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2014, 07:19:40 am »
I just hate making bows. PERIOD!!!!!! Cause it consumed my life and I can't stop,and it has taken away a lot of time that couldve been spent with the ones I love.

Haha Jeff....I just cleaned the shop yesterday....its been a long cold winter and it was a fricken disaster and stuff really got piled up everywhere....now I have a huge bonfire in the making  :D